• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Posting Pics

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Small follow up of the conversation about posting pics from another thread (which is about only being able to link to Pics, and not add them without making a media item on the site), but it does seem I can drag and drop from my desktop in the 'more scribbles thread'. Maybe because I am the one who started the thread?

In others, I can only post links.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Though...I cannot post them here without a link, so it must be some other reason then me being the thread starter.

It’s always been a URL link for me. I only use MS on the mobile site, but I don’t think that would make a difference.

Do you know how to post pics at all? Or do you mean from your own files? You’d have to go the convoluted way around to upload your own images by uploading them onto tinyurl or photobucket (do those sites still exist?!) and copy/paste the URL from the page they’ve been uploaded to…Otherwise click the image button and copy/paste the URL of an online image - although MS says ‘thou shalt not pass!’ To around 50% of images I’ve tried to link.

Fyri

Inkling
Well, I know that we can post links to images, but if there is a way to simply add an image from your computer to a post, I'm curious to learn about it. XD

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well....That's what prompted this post.

There is no simple way to just upload a pic from my desktop to the site. To do it, I have to jump through some hoops. (The one I prefer is uploading a media item and then linking to it, but.... that junks up the board with extra clutter, and creates a media item permanently, that I have no interest in keeping).

Some of the Staff have said, this is not a problem. They can do it. That may be, but my experience is, I can only post a link to a pic.

I happened to note, that in one area of the site, I could post from my desktop. So...it appears I have the privilege in some areas, but not in others. But I do not know the rhyme or reason to it.

The only way I know to reliably post a pic to the site is to first have it linkable from an internet location prior. Does not matter where it is linked to, just need a place to upload the pic first, then link to it.

There is not, apparently, a simple way to post pics otherwise.

Maybe that will change.

Well, I know that we can post links to images, but if there is a way to simply add an image from your computer to a post, I'm curious to learn about it. XD
That’s what I tried to explain - you can ONLY do this by copy and pasting a URL into the image selection box (little image with mountains and sun on) to upload ANY image, including those from your own computer - so one main way to do this is to upload your images to an image hosting website (such as photobucket) and then copy and paste that URL into the Mythic Scribes. It’s way convoluted. It would seem that staff don’t know of this because they have the option of simply choosing a file from their own computers to upload directly onto MS,

All my photos are backed up to OneDrive automatically, where I can generate a URL with the click of a button. So it's no trouble for me to use the URL option. But I do remember being able to directly drop an image into MS in the past (similar to what pmmg mentions). Might be a permissions thing.

Fyri

Inkling
That’s what I tried to explain - you can ONLY do this by copy and pasting a URL into the image selection box (little image with mountains and sun on) to upload ANY image, including those from your own computer - so one main way to do this is to upload your images to an image hosting website (such as photobucket) and then copy and paste that URL into the Mythic Scribes. It’s way convoluted. It would seem that staff don’t know of this because they have the option of simply choosing a file from their own computers to upload directly onto MS,
:) Yes. I know we can do that. I'm here to see any news on / advocate for a not-convoluted way. A simply upload directly. XD <3

I’m also waiting with baited breath to see if any staff can give an answer - but for now it would seem that there is no simple way to do it. URL only. 😅

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I swear there was one point where I could post an image super easy after only being able to do URL links, and then the next time I tried, it was back to the URL only. I figure it's a storage-saving mechanism like Squarespace had for videos and whatnot at one point.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
First, a disclaimer: I am not Staff. I don't have most of their administrative permissions, and that's fine because that's not what I do.

Second: Okay, let me get this straight for our viewers at home and any random, hopefully knowledgeable, Staff wandering through. In the lower left corner of the chat pane,

\/ Down there \/

is everyone able to see the Attach files button with the little paperclip icon? Or is that appearing and disappearing? We should have the option to either attach an image file directly or with a url, whatever the preference. If not, something may have gone awry in the site's settings, which makes this more complicated and something we'll want to figure out a workaround for.

Always been URL only for me - except randomly on Maliks thread on film option - that gave me the option of a direct upload from my own files.

Fyri

Inkling
I lied! Okay!

It's not on threads that I start, but rather, I can see it in the threads on the Critique Requests area, but not in other areas/threads.

Edit: I went through and it looks like the "Attach Files" button at the bottom left of the text box appears in threads in the following sections:

Writer's Work

Self-Promotion

Writing Challenges
Character Q&A
Story Showcase
Critique Requests

Brainstorming and Planning

Everywhere else does not give the option to upload directly from one's computer.

Last edited:

Fyri

Inkling

Like in here. (Sorry, I am not putting in the effort to figure out how to post the image alone somewhere and link back to it. Have a document. XD)