• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Seeking input on human-origins-related concept

Hi, everyone. I'm new here, and this is my first post. I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

For quite some time I've been developing a story that addresses the topic of human origins; more specifically, I'm a Christian and believe the Genesis story, and I'm trying to find a way to translate that into a fantasy novel. I'm trying to work out how to do this, and I'm facing some tough questions, and any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

First, the events of Genesis–from Creation through the Fall, the Flood, and the Tower of Babel–span a long period of time (roughly a couple millennia), so I need to find a way to condense that timeline into one novel / one person's lifetime (though people did live much longer back then, so that provides some wiggle room).

Second (and this relates to the first item), I've thought of featuring a hero or heroine, or group of heroes, who somehow helps rectify some great evil (symbolizing redemption from the Fall), but I don't know whether to have this character (or characters) around from the Beginning (in Genesis, the only people around then were Adam and Eve). I think this goes to how literally I want my story to parallel the Genesis story–do I merely want to include objects/people/events who are strictly representative of those in the Genesis story, or do I want to execute a strict parallelism (a detailed, person-for-person, event-for-event retelling of the Genesis story, just with different names)? I see some narrative problems with a strict parallel: For example, there wasn't one person who was present from the Beginning all the way through to the Tower of Babel, and I'd like for my story to have one person (or group of people) who are present throughout the tale. This kind of leads to my third item ...

How exactly do I tell this story? Genesis, to me, is rich with intrigue and mystery, which I'm a huge fan of. I absolutely loved the TV show LOST (well, except for the ending), and I'm envisioning creating a story that is similar to LOST as far as the level of intrigue and mystery. Many of us LOST fans really wanted to know about the Island's origin and history: What was it, precisely? How did it come into existence? Who was responsible for its existence? What exactly was the light at the Island's core, and where (or what, or who) did it come from? etc. These are the types of questions, and the level of intrigue and discovery, I want to present in my story. My question, though, is how to do this: whatever shape the story eventually takes, do I present it from the beginning and then proceed straight on through time from there, or do I start at some point further along the timescale and reveal some of the mysteries and answers through flashback-type scenes? I see pros and cons to both methods, and am kind of torn between the two.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I think this would be interesting as a basis for a science fiction novel, though that may get away from the religious element, or even contradict it, so you may not want to go that route.

I'd prefer to have it start at the beginning and move forward. I don't care for flash-backs, as they pull the reader out of the story. I think condensing it into one lifetime can be a problem here, because at the beginning you have Adam and Eve and their sons and daughters, and by the time you get to the Tower of Babel there are A LOT of people in the world. Seems like a huge transition for a single lifetime unless you are dealing with quasi-immortal characters. it would be interesting to give it a shot.

Well I also am doing something similar in my story, it may be best to do what I'm planning on and make it a series.

The series idea has crossed my mind, but since I've never had a book published, I think a standalone would be easier to sell (that's what I've heard, anyway). Thanks for your comments.

I think this would be interesting as a basis for a science fiction novel, though that may get away from the religious element, or even contradict it, so you may not want to go that route.

I'd prefer to have it start at the beginning and move forward. I don't care for flash-backs, as they pull the reader out of the story. I think condensing it into one lifetime can be a problem here, because at the beginning you have Adam and Eve and their sons and daughters, and by the time you get to the Tower of Babel there are A LOT of people in the world. Seems like a huge transition for a single lifetime unless you are dealing with quasi-immortal characters. it would be interesting to give it a shot.

That's sort of what I was thinking about the "one lifetime" idea, which is one reason why I'm considering NOT making it a strict parallel to the Genesis story. Thanks for your take on flashbacks, and for your comments in general.

Saigonnus

Auror

I was thinking that maybe you could think of similar events to substitute for the ones in genesis.. instead of adam and eve eating an apple from the forbidden tree and being banished from the garden of eden, you could have them commit some heinous crime (according to the law of the land) and be banished from their community instead.

Another option from the one steerpike gave is having the party of heroes remember things told to them by their father and grandfather instead of living them first hand. Stories throughout time before the invention of the printing press or written language were passed down orally in songs or orations.

Something else I considered was perhaps you could decide the length of time you want to cover and use the descendants of the original "heroes" though it would require the readers to have to know the myriad of characters involved.

I was thinking that maybe you could think of similar events to substitute for the ones in genesis.. instead of adam and eve eating an apple from the forbidden tree and being banished from the garden of eden, you could have them commit some heinous crime (according to the law of the land) and be banished from their community instead.

The representative approach is one I've been considering, but I haven't been able to nail down specifics, so thanks for the idea to get my creative juices flowing.

Another option from the one steerpike gave is having the party of heroes remember things told to them by their father and grandfather instead of living them first hand. Stories throughout time before the invention of the printing press or written language were passed down orally in songs or orations.

Good point about oral traditions.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Somebody needs to take a long look at the 'Book of Enoch'. Jewish and early christian writers were enthralled with this text, which attempts to 'fill in the blanks' is Genesis and later texts.

Enoch might make for a fair POV character - one of two biblical figures allegedly brought to heaven whilst still alive...

Another candidate might be Methulsah (sp?), the priest who lived something like 900 years.

You might also want to take into account that the bible represents one tradition of many, and the biblical authors were strongly influenced by those other traditions. Take a peek at the 'Gilgamesh Epic' sometime.

Phietadix

Auror
Enoch might make for a fair POV character - one of two biblical figures allegedly brought to heaven whilst still alive...

Another candidate might be Methulsah (sp?), the priest who lived something like 900 years.

You might also want to take into account that the bible represents one tradition of many, and the biblical authors were strongly influenced by those other traditions. Take a peek at the 'Gilgamesh Epic' sometime.

First of all, what makes you think Methuselah was a priest? I have never heard that before, and I'm almost posive I've studied this more than you have. Also Everyone lived some 900 years then, Methuselah was simply the oldest we have record of at 969 years old, Adam's actually 3rd oldest. I think if you're doing near exact parrell the best choose for a character would be Noah.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
First of all, what makes you think Methuselah was a priest? I have never heard that before, and I'm almost posive I've studied this more than you have. Also Everyone lived some 900 years then, Methuselah was simply the oldest we have record of at 969 years old, Adam's actually 3rd oldest. I think if you're doing near exact parrell the best choose for a character would be Noah.

From Wiki:

Methuselah appears in two important Jewish works from the 3rd and 2nd centuries BC. In the Book of Enoch,[6] Enoch (as the narrator) tells Methuselah of the coming worldwide flood and of the future Messianic kingdom. The Book of Jubilees names Methuselah's mother and his wife – both are named Edna – and his daughter-in-law, Betenos, Lamech's wife.

The 17th century midrashic Sefer haYashar ("Book of Jasher")[7] describes Methuselah with his grandson Noah attempting to persuade the people of the earth to return to godliness.[8] All other very long-lived people died, and Methuselah was the only one of this class left.[9] God planned to bring the flood after all the men who walked in the ways of the Lord had died (besides Noah and his family).[10] Methuselah lived until the ark was built, but died before the flood, since God had promised he would not be killed with the unrighteous.[9] The Sefer haYashar gives Methuselah's age at death as 960[11] and does not synchronize his death with the flood.

The Sumerian king list mentions a character named Ubaratutu who seems almost identical to Methuselah. He was the son of Enmunderana the Sumerian Enoch, and king of Sumeria until the flood swept over the land. Although their ages are different their father and year of death remain the same.

Somebody needs to take a long look at the 'Book of Enoch'. Jewish and early christian writers were enthralled with this text, which attempts to 'fill in the blanks' is Genesis and later texts.

Thank you for the suggestions and comments! Though I disagree with your view on who influenced whom (I think the Gilgamesh Epic was a derivative of the true, Biblical story), your suggestions of Enoch and/or Methuselah as the POV character have me a bit intrigued.

Phietadix

Auror
I'm not sure how good a choice Methuselah would be. He didn't live much longer than anyone else and wasn't alive during any really major events.