• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

So what does my collection need?

I realised today just how few fantasy ps3 games I've got. A couple of sci-fi's but no proper fantasy. The big names in that category seem to be the Dragon Age series, and the Eldar Scrolls series. Would you recommend them? Are they good? Any other decent fantasy games out there? No spoilers now.

JCFarnham

Auror
To be honest I have no real love for dragon age. I obtained a trail version over xbox live, and ... well, it may just be because I'm awful at games in general, but I just couldn't get along with it. I don't enjoy have a 100% lose record. I'm sure it's brilliant if you can get the hang of it though, lots of people rave about it. I'm more of a strategy/puzzler/eastern rpg style gamer.

For a while I've been considering getting Skyrim for exactly the same reason. I hope I can get a bit more of a hold on it than Dragon age mind you haha.

Can you get the Fable series on ps3? I absolutely loved what I played of Fable III. I abuse free trial versions you see ;)

To be honest I have no real love for dragon age. I obtained a trail version over xbox live, and ... well, it may just be because I'm awful at games in general, but I just couldn't get along with it. I don't enjoy have a 100% lose record. I'm sure it's brilliant if you can get the hang of it though, lots of people rave about it. I'm more of a strategy/puzzler/eastern rpg style gamer.

For a while I've been considering getting Skyrim for exactly the same reason. I hope I can get a bit more of a hold on it than Dragon age mind you haha.

Can you get the Fable series on ps3? I absolutely loved what I played of Fable III. I abuse free trial versions you see ;)

Skyrim certainly looks visually amazing, as a fantasy writer I find visual fantasy just as inspiring as prose. Sadly Fable is exclusively xbox, because microsoft want to keep it for themselves. Pity, I cleared the first one about four times on a friend's console, haven't played 2 or 3. Is there not a lot of strategy in Dragon Age then?

JCFarnham

Auror
There's probably loads of tactical decisions you need to make in Dragon Age considering the studio who made it ;) but to be honest (and I'm talking about the latest DA game here) I came up against some sort of "horribly powerful" brute type creature and wave upon wave of lesser enemies, and got sick of losing. Challenge is good up to a point. Though I do wonder whether they loaded the demo towards losing (upgrades were locked).

If you can find a demo or some one who has it I suggest you try it out anyway, I was enjoying it until it spoilt itself haha!

Dragon Age Origins was awesome. JC played the second one, which is much more hack and slash than the first. The first one is almost entirely tactical/strategy based combat.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
My favorite PS3 fantasy games are Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Dragon Age: Origins.

Right now I would start with Skyrim. It has amazing visuals and tons of atmosphere. Dragon Age has a better story, though, with more vivid characters.

My favorite PS3 fantasy games are Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Dragon Age: Origins.

Right now I would start with Skyrim. It has amazing visuals and tons of atmosphere. Dragon Age has a better story, though, with more vivid characters.

Thanks. Elder Scrolls 4 is for the current gen consoles as well isn't it?

Thanks. Elder Scrolls 4 is for the current gen consoles as well isn't it?

Yes it is. Black Dragon is right, and both games are great, but I think the more important difference in the two games is combat systems. If you like strategic party combat I would get Dragon Age, but if you like a single character just walking around kicking ass pick Skyrim.

Leif GS Notae

Closed Account
You can get Oblivion on the cheap as a GotY edition with all the DLC included. You should wait for a Skyrim GotY and wait until the patching is settled for the PS3. Buggy. As. Hell.

Dragon Age Origin is great, but it is more tactical old school RPG style. On a whole, don't get it.

Here's why. You will have an attachment to your character (it is common with creating a blank slate). You will go through and do some pretty cool things in that game. And then you will NEVER see that character again (not a spoiler, BioWare even admitted it in a press release for their DA3 planning). The other characters they force on you in II are horrible. 3 will not fair any better.

You want to see what might happen? Look at the outcry at the end of Mass Effect 3. Apply to Dragon Age. Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

While not a "fantasy" game, you should get your hands on Valkryia Chronicles (if you haven't already). When I had a PS3, it was my favorite game on the system.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Leif GS Notae said:
You should wait for a Skyrim GotY and wait until the patching is settled for the PS3. Buggy. As. Hell.

Skyrim runs great on the PS3 now. Since the latest patch, gameplay has been smooth and problem-free.

In conclusion I picked up a Game of the year edition of Elder Scrolls 4. I gave it a brief go last night, but it had been a long day so I went to bed soon after. To be honest I wasn't too sure what to think at first and some of it was slightly over my head. As a fan of the Fallout series though I found the control system nice and familiar. However, today I went back on, left the sewers and Woooheee I love it! Awesome game! I'm still not very far in, but I know I'm going to get on with it just fine.

I have played Skyrim through to about level 57 and still have yet to do the main quests. It is a thoroughly enjoyable single toon game.

Dragon's Age was a great one, too.

While I know it's sci-fi, I played Mass Effect 3 through a couple times now and it's one of the best story-driven games I've ever played.