• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Sub-genres

Addison

Auror
I've read a good share of threads questioning sub genres. Not their existence but where the writer's story fits exactly. While the most commons sub-genres are; epic, sword and sorcery, high, low, dark etc, I came across a few sub genres that were new and interesting.

Arcanepunk: The word arcanepunk refers to a fantasy world where both magic and science exist. It applies to a genre or a design.
The magic and science are advanced enough that most people have access. Not everyone is a scientist or wizard, but most people know how to use technologic and magic items. Scientific knowledge is comparable to the late 19th century or more advanced. This genre is often old fashioned, either by borrowing in fantasy or steampunk.
In most cases, magic and science have evolved in parallel. People use technomagic devices based on magic and science. Coal, oil and electricity are often replaced by crystals, mana or glyphs.

Bangsian Fantasy: a fantasy genre which concerns the use of famous literary or historical individuals and their interactions in the afterlife. It is named for John Kendrick Bangs who often wrote it.

Fairy Tale Parody:A fairy tale parody is a genre of fiction which parodies traditional fairy tales.

Fairy Tale Fantasy: Fairytale fantasy is distinguished from other subgenres of fantasy by the works' heavy use of motifs, and often plots, from folklore.

Fantastique: The Fantastique is a French term for a literary and cinematic genre that overlaps with science fiction, horror and fantasy.What is distinctive about the fantastique is the intrusion of supernatural phenomena into an otherwise realist narrative. It evokes phenomena which are not only left unexplained but which are inexplicable from the reader's point of view. In this respect, the fantastique is somewhere between fantasy, where the supernatural is accepted and entirely reasonable in the imaginary world of a non-realist narrative, and magic realism, where apparently supernatural phenomena are explained and accepted as normal. Instead, characters in a work of fantastique are, just like the readers, unwilling to accept the supernatural events that occur. This refusal may be mixed with doubt, disbelief, fear, or some combination of those reactions.

Fantasy of Manners: a subgenre of fantasy literature that also partakes of the nature of a comedy of manners (though it is not necessarily humorous). Such works generally take place in an urban setting and within the confines of a fairly elaborate, and almost always hierarchical, social structure. The term was first used in print by science fiction critic Donald G. Keller in an article, The Manner of Fantasy, in the April, 1991 issue of The New York Review of Science Fiction, although author Ellen Kushner has said that she suggested the term to Keller.[1] The subgenre, or a close relative to it, has also been called mannerpunk, a tongue-in-cheek reference to the cyberpunk subgenre of science fiction

Gaslamp Fantasy: Gaslamp fantasy (also known as gaslight fantasy or gaslight romance) is a sub-genre of both fantasy and historical fiction. Generally speaking, this particular realm of fantasy employs either a Victorian or Edwardian setting. The gaslamp fantasy genre is not to be confused with steampunk, which usually has more of a super-science edge and uchronic[1] tone. Gaslamp fantasy also differs from classical Victorian/Edwardian faerie or pure fantasy in the J.R.R. Tolkien or Lewis Carroll style or from historical crime-novels in the Anne Perry or June Thomson style by the supernatural elements, themes, and subjects it features.

And yes I copy and pasted from wikipedia. Sorry.

Ophiucha

Auror
I love fantasy of manners. I actually just started reading Ellen Kushner's Swordspoint, though it's taking the back burner to my ill-advised attempt to re-read Wise Blood for the time being. I'm sort of surprised that Bangsian fantasy isn't named after Dante, since he is rather unquestionably the most popular writer of the genre.

My favourite obscure subgenre of fantasy is probably arcanepunk. To follow the precedent of quoting Wikipedia, "arcanepunk refers to a fantasy world where both magic and science exist... The magic and science are advanced enough that most people have access. Not everyone is a scientist or wizard, but most people know how to use technologic and magic items. Scientific knowledge is comparable to the late 19th century or more advanced. This genre is often old fashioned, either by borrowing in fantasy or steampunk."

Ophiucha

Auror
I had never heard of fantastique--can you provide examples?

I think it is more popular in France. I would say a great deal of French gothic literature is fantastique, and they are influenced by the Charles Perrault fairy tales more than Grimm or Hans Christian Andersen. Victor Hugo's The Man Who Laughs is one; never read it, but the (silent) film was quite good - and the inspiration for the Joker. Most famous example would probably be... well, as a novel at least (adaptations vary), The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux.

Wow!! you learn something new everyday. The man who laughs--never read it and had no idea it was the inspiration for The Joker. There´s a new kids book--by the time you reach me--a sort of speculative fiction kind of thing that has a laughing man in the story..hmmm

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I love fantasy of manners. I actually just started reading Ellen Kushner's Swordspoint, though it's taking the back burner to my ill-advised attempt to re-read Wise Blood for the time being.

Great book. So is Privilege of the Sword, which takes place in the same world.