• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Subtle Layers?

Telemecus

Scribe
I am currently in the planning stage of a novel-length story. In this story, one of my MC's main motivations is redemption for past deeds. After spending a few hours brainstorming about my characters, I noticed that the main cast had a tendency to represent the different ways people react to and deal with their own pasts/misdeeds/hurts. There are characters that have traits of uncaring indifference, one or two that are cynical and curmudgeonly, one that is angry and (somewhat) violent, one that has given up on people and just carouses all the time, and the MC who is striving to make up for what he has done, plus a few others. My question is, is there any way I can bring out these traits in the character without making it too obvious or chintzy? And can anyone think of a third layer I could add to give the story a bit more depth?

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
It seems like you're really asking about theme and depth.

The trick, I think, is not to try to bring subtle themes to the forefront. Let's face it, a lot of your readers will miss the theme entirely. That's okay. For those who do get it, they will appreciate the depth, and it will give them an enhanced view of your talent. Still others will read depth in the story that you never intended.

Xaysai

Inkling
I think it will be important to really demonstrate these character traits, and not be too "telly" about it.

If you describe "Bob" as "indifferent", it will probably come off too obvious. If you place Bob in a situation and show us how he reacts, we can determine he is indifferent, and it will come off as being more genuine.

Addison

Auror
Just write naturally. If you have these differences in mind through out the story then they'll type themselves in.

But that said, a story is never just about good guy beating bad guy. There are always layers in a story. As layers come from conflict I can tell you that there are four layers: internal, interpersonal, external, antagonist.

Mainly, it's showing characters reacting in their own ways. Especially, highlight that by making it be why someone does or doesn't help the MC, or let people think someone will do one thing but their real nature shows they're something different. Best of all, let the MC figure someone out and use their nature to recruit, predict, or otherwise deal with someone.