• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Synonyms for a War Band

My story is set in a sort of post apocalyptic setting and the world is full of cannibalistic savages who travel/hunt together to stay alive. When I have characters talking I can't think of a good term for them to use. All I can think of is savages, war bands, and raiding parties. Since they are not part of something "official" I don't think a made up word would be appropriate. Any suggestions?

Jeff Xilon

Minstrel
Pack, flock, host, swarm, throng or my personal favorite: a congregation. "You gotta watch out in this area. There's a nasty congregation that claims it."

Nihal

Vala
I like "hunters", or words of similar connotation. It seems your MC are the prey, and reader know it. Every time "hunters" come up it will bring the ominous feeling of "what if they are tracking us right now ?", the nervous glance over the shoulder.

Alexandra

Closed Account
Don't use generic terms, use something more personal and unique, ie. Bloods, Crips, Hell's Angels, Flesh Eaters, Hannibal's Cannibals... you get the idea. It can work.

"Where's Joe?"

"Didn't you hear, he got munched by a couple of Hannibal's Cannibals the other night. Wasn't pretty."

Your readers will catch on quickly.