• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Temporia (The land of seasons)

SaraDeAra

The land of Temporia is divided in two main parts Aestas (summer land) and Hiems (winter land). After a big war between the two they decided to keep the kingdoms apart and made two big walls between the kingdom. These walls were put between the kingdom where it is always nice weather, the summer kingdom Aestas and the kingdom with cold, but lots of good architecture, the winter kingdom Hiems.
Between the two kingdoms there was a part where the weather would change like the seasons we know on earth. The people of both kingdoms found this place strange and said that there were witches and other "mythical" creatures there. This place was put between the two walls and was called Inter Tempora (between seasons). The people who were already living in the Inter Tempora had to stay there, because the kingdoms were scared that they were witches or at least evil.

Aestas:
Aestas is a beautiful kingdom with lots of plants and animals everywhere.
The people of the kindom Aestas are obsessed with beauty:
Because of the heat they wear thin clothes that are very showing of every part of the body, which means also the flaws.
The people don't eat meat, because of the fat and hate anything out of the ordinary.

Hiems:
Hiems is beautiful in a different way with snow and ice covering the entire kingdom.
In the kingdom Hiems, they have lots of good architects and inventors.
They make lots of stuff with the snow and ice for isolation, but the structures of the buildings are made of stone.
In this kingdom they mainly eat meat, because there aren't many plants and they need fat to stay warm and to survive longer without food.
The people are very resourceful and are also quite tough, so they can survive the climate there.

What do you think and do you have any ideas to add to this world? Let me know!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...I am asking questions... Like, what is the eco-system for the frozen half? And what about the summer clime and fat makes them all vegan?

Scientifically, I am also wondering about the planet dynamics. I think this would more likely happen on a planet that had a lit and unlit side. The unlit side would be in perpetual darkness. Maybe with rotation, the it would get some light...I am not sure.

Otherwise, and it being fantasy, I think its fine for a setting. But I care more about story then backdrop. What is the story on this world?

I also had thoughts of Mr. Heatmeiser and Mr. FrostMeiser.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I created a world something like this for Lovecraftian short stories. The 'Eldritch World' - I need to come up with a proper name - is tidally locked to its primary, yet still rotates on its axis, which has a seventy-degree tilt. North of +30, the sun never sets, and the terrain includes scorched deserts and boiling seas. Sout of -30 the sun never rises, and sea and land alike are a frozen wasteland. The majority of people dwell within ten degrees of the Equator. An oversized moon on an equatorial orbit stabilizes the situation.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I do think I could figure out a way that the planet might rotate and orbit to make this happen, but I still have to question the creatures of the frozen land. If its frozen, what is growing to feed the prey animals that the predators would eat? So the Eco system would be off. Guess you can fix that by saying here is some plant that grows in the frozen ground....or maybe it is all plankton frozen in the ice...

I suppose I am over-thinking it.

Its not like the last air bender map made much sense either, and yet...

What might be neat is if the Frozen side kind of reversed the importance of the Moon and the Sun. As the moon might be more prominently in their sky.

Genly

Minstrel
I created a world something like this for Lovecraftian short stories. The 'Eldritch World' - I need to come up with a proper name - is tidally locked to its primary, yet still rotates on its axis, which has a seventy-degree tilt. North of +30, the sun never sets, and the terrain includes scorched deserts and boiling seas. Sout of -30 the sun never rises, and sea and land alike are a frozen wasteland. The majority of people dwell within ten degrees of the Equator. An oversized moon on an equatorial orbit stabilizes the situation.
Interesting concept. I am not sure of the dynamical stability of this system, and it would be interesting to do the calculation. I suspect, though, that our current understanding of the relevant physics is reasonably uncertain, given the current controversy about whether our Moon has actually stabilized the axial tilt of the Earth or not, on timescales of millions of years. So the world described above might be one way to construct an eternal summer/eternal winter world.

Another way would be the traditional tidally-locked world, where one side is in permanent daylight and the other is in permanent darkness, as pmmg indicates. If the planet was in a stellar system with more than one star, the dark side could be periodically illuminated by the bright light of one or more distant stars. They would not be as bright as daylight, but could be brighter than moonlight, for instance.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I considered the classic permanent day/permanent night with the twilight ribbon between the two - but then I realized that Venus in our Solar system is tidally locked, yet still rotates, albeit very slowly. So, there is a real-world example.

It is worth pointing out that the planet's orbit is also eccentric - on the order of 10%, which makes for seasons of a sort. The system has a second 'sun', a faint red dwarf on a highly eccentric orbit. Most of the time, it is merely a very bright star (two or three times the luminosity of the moon,) but that changes during its closest approach. This changes the daylight situation for a year or three during the second suns closest approach.

As to life in the lands of eternal day and forever night - I tinkered a bit with the later, and there are Lovecraftian abominations that would fare just fine in the heat of eternal day.

Genly

Minstrel
Between the two kingdoms there was a part where the weather would change like the seasons we know on earth. The people of both kingdoms found this place strange and said that there were witches and other "mythical" creatures there.

Maybe this region could be very stormy, with bad weather much of the time. It could also be very windy. This is predicted for the boundary region between permanent night and permanent day on planets that are tidally locked into synchronous rotation i.e. with one side of the planet always facing its star. I'm not saying that this fantasy world-building exercise should be limited by science, of course...

SaraDeAra

I had never really put much thought into the physics of my world, but all of your ideas do help a lot.

As to the stories there:
I have made the stories with lego belville and based the two kingdoms on the winter castle and the summer castle. So over the past few years I have made lots of small stories in this world. I just finally wanted to know what others would think of my world.
I still need to write my stories down, but I have already made lots of characters for all three parts of this world.

I think this is a great place to start. Are you world building just for fun, or is it a project that will be used as a foundation for a writing project?

I’d be asking where spring and autumn are, because a perpetual summer and a perpetual winter do provide a nice contrast, but you don’t get those other fun aspects of the other two seasons.

SaraDeAra

I want to start writing stories in this world. The spring and autumn are kind of in the between part of the two kingdoms, because there is all sorts of different weather that fit in between the seasons.
Allthough where I live we had it quite warm in march, but now in april it keeps storming with extreme rain (we only get like little bits of rain all through the day normally). So here it allready goes in the wrong order toward the summer...

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Not that anyone is asking, but I wanted to add anyway...

I think the physics would be....

Imagine a planet tidally locked, so the same side faces the sun all the time. Then angle it such that one pole is more aimed at the sun than the other, and then start the planet rotating, beginning the day night cycle on both hemispheres.

It may be, in that circumstance, the North pole is perpetually in sunlight, and the south pole perpetually in darkness, but the in between would go through periods of dark and light, and maybe have the temperature regulated. The north would get more sun then the south, and thus always be warmer and the south colder. My guess is the warmer side would have more storms.

I'm not sure what that would really do to the temps on a planet, but that seems like it should cause the disparity you need.

A consequence of this is one side would have the sun in their sky way more often, and the other would have the stars. So there would be a sun side and a star side.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Not that anyone is asking, but I wanted to add anyway...

I think the physics would be....

Imagine a planet tidally locked, so the same side faces the sun all the time. Then angle it such that one pole is more aimed at the sun than the other, and then start the planet rotating, beginning the day night cycle on both hemispheres.

It may be, in that circumstance, the North pole is perpetually in sunlight, and the south pole perpetually in darkness, but the in between would go through periods of dark and light, and maybe have the temperature regulated. The north would get more sun then the south, and thus always be warmer and the south colder. My guess is the warmer side would have more storms.

I'm not sure what that would really do to the temps on a planet, but that seems like it should cause the disparity you need.

A consequence of this is one side would have the sun in their sky way more often, and the other would have the stars. So there would be a sun side and a star side.
You just described the reasoning for the 'Eldritch World,' though I added the giant moon to stabilize the arrangement.

Gurkhal

Auror
It looks cool to me but like others said almost any world looks good if the stories it carries are also good.

What I could ask about are the inhabitants of this world. Are they all normal humans or fantasy species of a traditional or inventive bend?

As far as the world goes, you can get away with almost anything by simply handwaving it and not digging into it. Star Wars gets away with having 1-ecosystem worlds. It's always the desert world, or the swamp world, or the ice world. No attention is paid to anything resembling the actual physics or how the ecosystems work. Just going with "it's magic" works fine, as long as you don't actually try to explain it. If you do explain it, it had better make sense of course, so there's that as well.

I agree with the others that the stories told in the world dictate how I feel about the world. How well can you actually show this world through a story? How do your characters interact with the specifics of the world. This matters a lot. If your stories can make the world believable then it's great.