• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Beauty of Physical Writing

Aurora

Sage
That's well and good for those of us whose handwriting does not look like the stumbling of a drunken pigeon.
My problem is that my hand swells when I write in pen too long. I have no idea why but it's highly uncomfortable. The tips of my fingers turn red. I'm still young so what the heck, huh? Keyboards it is.

Mythopoet

Auror
My handwriting is pretty terrible as well. But writing with a fountain pen, especially with an italic nib, forces me to write slower and thus neater. This might sound like a drawback but it also gives me more time to think while writing. I'm not necessarily writing just the first words that come to mind.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
My problem is that my hand swells when I write in pen too long. I have no idea why but it's highly uncomfortable. The tips of my fingers turn red. I'm still young so what the heck, huh? Keyboards it is.

You are gripping the pen too tightly. The same happened with me. I even developed a more or less permanent dent where the pen rested (I wrote that way for many years). Since switching to a fountain pen, where one need only touch nib to paper in order to make the ink flow, the redness and even the dent have gone away.

I'm not suggesting you switch. If you are fine at the computer, then good on ya. I grew up before desktop computers, a fact that explains any number (though not quite all) of my idiosyncrasies.

Russ

Istar
Continuous best seller Nelson DeMille still writes his manuscripts by hand before giving them over to his secretary to type up. I think, alas, he is one of the few remaining.

Gribba

Troubadour
Ohh... I love writing by hand... the pages are often filled with arrows pointing in all directions, crossed out texts, rewriting but still have the old version and adding some notes... but I am not so picky about the pen I am more picky about the notebook I choose to write in...
hehhehe... :D

I use these at the moment...
bookAndPen_02.jpg
bookAndPen_03.jpg

But I also use the computer as well, I like both methods it just depends on the mood I am in. :)

I feel that writing by hand helps me think/rethink and sometimes plan what I am working on but the computer allows me to discovery write more.

Last edited: