• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Blurb for Faerie Rising: The First Book of Binding

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I agree about the breath-holding. The opening sentence feels more strung out than punchy.
>Winter Mulcahy is a wizard, a potion master, and a trauma surgeon with hidden private clinic in Seahaven, WA, who stands alone between the escalating violence in the preternatural population and total chaos.

Two things, one sort of grammatical and the other is substantive.

First, we have Winter who is a this, a that, and another. This person has a clinic ... "who stands alone"...

In my mind, we wind up with the clinic standing alone between forces. Is it really important that we know, right in the very first sentence, that this person has a clinic? And that it is hidden? And that it's in Seahaven? On that last point, if this were the second or subsequent book, I can see a callback along the lines of "return to Seahaven and Winter Mulcahy's clinic" or some such. But for the first in the series, it doesn't feel important to know the town name. Or state.

Second, "escalating violence" is good. That gets attention. "Preternatural population" is a bit of a mouthful. Having read the book, I know that's a story-specific term so I can let that go and figure a new reader will mostly just slide over it. But on one side we have the preternaturals and on the other side we have total chaos.

That stops me. Over here is violence in a population and over there is total chaos. So, violence and worse violence? What is Winter actually standing between? What's she trying to save and trying to prevent? As I remember it--and apologies in advance--it's that the escalating violence is a sort of harbinger of worse coming. More than standing between, she's trying to hold back a chaos that threatens her whole world.

A couple other comments. One, In the final paragraph you call her a "young wizard physician". You could shift that to "a wizard and trauma surgeon" and use that as the descriptor in the opening. Winter Mulcahy, a young wizard and trauma surgeon" or "... who is also a trauma surgeon" -- and ask yourself if much is lost if we leave out the potion master. We see the potion shop very early (I love the potion shop), so does it *need* to be in the blurb? I dunno.

More than one person didn't care for "local politics". Would that be local demon politics? Or maybe just "local factions" and let the reader imagine who those might be? I do agree that "local politics" feels like a shift in focus to mundane matters at City Hall. I also agree that we need a villain. Tears in reality are appearing and she can't stitch them up fast enough. What's behind it all?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Two things before I go with this haul of awesomeness and wisdom and start hammering it into the keyboard...

I am the Queen of the Run on Sentence and must be stopped before I asphyxiate someone.

I love you guys so much! 💖 Thank you all for putting so much thought into this blurb. I can't tell you how much it means to be... which is ironic, being a writer and with the words and stuff. Maybe coffee?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Is there a current new pass for this?

And is it the case that people ought to know stuff about the earlier books before reading this. Such as....Faerie being a place name?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Looking at this with a eye for how I might improve, I wish to say, the part of this I cannot improve on is the voice. Some of the sentences do run on, but there is a a crazy whirlwind aspect to it that I think is probably also present between the pages. My confusion more comes from the use of terms I am not familiar with, like the Sidhe, Preternatural, and Faerie being a place.

I do see some awkwardness in the sentences having too much info stuffed into them. 'Between' instead of 'against', the repeating of 'wizard' in both paragraphs, the inclusion of Harley and private clinic, and Seahaven WA. Some feel like extraneous info to me. Do I really care if the clinic is 'private', and isn't it enough that the Sidhe lords approached her? Do I need to know they are on bikes?

My editor brain says cut some of this down and make it flow better, but the details matter and add to helping me with what I should expect inside. If I was to edit this, I would cut some of the extraneous terms, but I fear that might hurt the voice.

I withdraw my earlier comment about Potion Master, and capitalization. I would go back to capitalizing that.

I would, however, change the second paragraph from, 'The young wizard physician' to her name. And I might make it a question... Can Winter learn the truth of the kidnapping and successfully navigate....

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I notice now, the thread title says this is the first book, and the opening post says you are redoing it. Is the blurb provided the one that is already on the back of the book, and you just added the word Trauma Surgeon to it?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Hey, guys, I'm so sorry to be late to my own party. Been a day.

Okay this is what we have for Pass #3. My wife and I had a little miscommunication and she put this one up on Amazon, which was fine since it gave us a chance to fine tune our keywords, and also it's going to give me more time to incorporate all of your new ideas and I really think this is going to just be stellar. I can't thank everyone enough for putting so much thought and energy into this project. You are all so talented and amazing, but most importantly you are so generous with your energy and your time. Team Lowan greatly appreciates all of you.

~~

Winter Mulcahy is a wizard, a potion master, and a trauma surgeon with a hidden private clinic in Seahaven, WA, who stands alone between the escalating violence in the preternatural population and total chaos. While holding the city together against threats old and emergent by the skin of her teeth, the blood of her friends, and an addiction to stimulants that is slowly killing her, Winter is approached by a pair of sidhe lords on an old Harley bearing claim that she is harboring a fugitive from Faerie who holds a crown prince prisoner, and that they need her help to rescue the boy.

The young wizard physician must investigate this fugitive to get to the truth of the kidnapping and successfully navigate the unpredictable waters of local politics before all of Seahaven falls to factional fighting and flames.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
And the original blurb, for reference so no one has to scroll up and down and whatnot.

~~

Winter Mulcahy is the last wizard in the city of Seahaven, WA and all that stands between the fractious preternatural population and total chaos. Holding the city together by the skin of her teeth, the blood of her friends, and an addiction to stimulants that is slowly killing her, the young wizard is approached by a pair of sidhe lords who claim that her city is harboring a fugitive who has kidnapped a sidhe prince, and that they are on a mission to rescue the boy.

Winter must investigate this fugitive to get to the truth of the kidnapping, discover the cause of the surges of wild magic tearing open rifts between realms across her city, and navigate the deadly waters of preternatural politics before Seahaven both figuratively and literally rips itself apart.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I like the new one better than the old one. It has a nicer rythm to it.

Reading this gave me a vision of a preternatural Eric Clapton, strumming away on his guitar and singing about how there are no tears in reality...
Yeah, I like the new one, too, and it just keeps getting better with each pass. And it's all you guys. You can see things I stopped being able to see years ago, and it refreshes the whole thing in my mind and makes it malleable again.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Much better!

I hate writing ad copy in all forms, blurbs included. It requires I somehow manage to be simultaneously analytical and enthusiastic in the composition. Makes my skin grind and my teeth crawl.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Much better!

I hate writing ad copy in all forms, blurbs included. It requires I somehow manage to be simultaneously analytical and enthusiastic in the composition. Makes my skin grind and my teeth crawl.
This is going to sound way out there, but as we're progressing with the series I'm actually starting to enjoy writing blurbs. They're challenging and a very different sort of writing than what I do normally, which can get a bit lyrical and thick with the run-on sentences. lol Ties of Blood and Bone is also wordy - almost twice Faerie Rising's length O.O - but there's a lot to cover. I finally got my feet under me with Beneath a Stone Sky, though. Chonky book, much shorter blurb. And the next three are following that model, which is a good thing. lol