• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Wandering Inn

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Finally! At last! I started reading this series in Kindle form back in early Spring, then moved on to the website continuation, and it has dominated or outright replaced my other books ever since. But, today, I finally finished the last of the current online chapters. Time to clarify something here - I read a *lot*. Often, a book a day or better. This series took me so freaking long because many of the individual chapters were novella length - 40,000+ words. Even the shorter chapters tended to top ten thousand words. And there are hundreds of chapters. My best guess is the total series in on the order of eight *million* words, done at a pace of about a million words per year - which is nothing short of insane.

First, might as well post a link to the Kindle Version:

Now, given the length of this series, I can just barely hit the biggest highlights and toss in some commentary.

To start with, The Wandering Inn is 'Literary Role-Playing' - Lit-RPG. The foundational premise is that about a thousand younger folk from Earth, between the ages of fifteen and twenty-five were magically kidnapped by a sort of 'idiot spell' and dropped into random locations on a massive fantasy planet. The populace of said planet are in the thrall of a game-like system - almost *everybody* has classes and levels, and as they progress, they gain supernatural skills and spells awarded by this system (which they are mostly ignorant of). And there are many, many classes - everything from Drivers and Runners and Laborers to Traders, Lords, Rogues, and multiple varieties of Wizards. One class category that is absent is 'Priest' - because, well, the Gods are dead. Long dead. 'Dead Gods' is a common profanity.

As per the classes, so are the races - there are about a dozen major ones - quarrelsome yet civilized Drakes (magically related to Dragons), rustic Lizard-folk (distinct from Drakes), Gnolls (friendly nomadic sort), Goblins (complete outcasts), Centaurs, Stitch People (sapient cloth golems) Selphids (a sort of parasite race that animates dead bodies), Half-Elves (elves proper being long extinct), Garuda (bird people), insect people, humans, and others.

The first few books revolve almost entirely around the exploits of a pair of young women taken from Earth. The first, Erin Solstice, arrives in a dangerous location, flees, then takes shelter in an abandoned Inn. She cleans the place up a bit - and a little voice in her head gives her the 'Innkeeper' Class. She goes on to befriend Drakes, goblins, and insect people (humans are almost nonexistent in that area) and later caters to groups of adventurers (there is an actual adventures guild, and a major, extremely dangerous dungeon is discovered close to her establishment - The Wandering Inn. The other character is Ryoka Griffon, a half Japanese girl taken from the mid-west. Being paranoid and argumentative, she refuses to accept classes or levels. Instead, she puts her pastime as a marathon runner to work delivering messages and small parcels (everybody thinks she is a member of the Runner class). That brings her into contact with a wide range of people and unusual beings, because accepts the more dangerous contracts. Worthy of mention are Aaron Blackwell, who landed in a wizard's academy and becomes a sort of magical engineer, Cara, the Queen of Pop, Geneva Scala, who'd just become a doctor back Earth before being dropped into an especially dangerous part of the planet, and... well, I'll stop while I'm behind, as there are literally hundreds of POV characters, many of them 'natives.'

Worthy of mention in the website version is the large quantity of art, mostly of Erin and other central characters, ranging from childish to damn good quality-wise.

That said... I have many issues with this series. It remained interesting enough to (mostly) hold my attention, but some things... members of the different races, despite their physical differences, acted and thought like humans - so much so they negated the uniqueness. American English as *the* universal language was another matter - apart from a few enclaves and scholarly sorts, English was *the* language used by *everybody*. I have some suspicions about that, but... Likewise, the classes had so many overlaps I wondered at the necessity of including them all.

I'll call it quits, at least for now...

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I dont know how anyone can read a book a day. I dont think that will ever be me.
I was impressed the the author could crank out eight million words in eight years - usually writing just 2-3 days a week. In notes attached to the website version, she did complain about being completely exhausted and even ill fairly often.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Another thing I found a bit tiresome with the series was the large number of young, attractive female characters (and some older ones) who were both single and childless (and often in dangerous classes, like warrior or duelist. A few such, yes. But nowhere near the numbers in the books.

I don't know how anyone can write 1 million words a year. :)
You sit down each day and write 2750 words. Or about 3.5 hours per day where you write 750-ish words per hour. If you increase your writing speed, then you can do it even faster.

I have an acquaintance who is on track to write 600.000 words this year. He works in a call center, and whenever it's quiet, he writes. This way he easily gets 2k words written in a day.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I could spit out the words but i fear the typos and lack of cohesion i would end up with. I dont think i get to that pace either.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Another thing I found a bit tiresome with the series was the large number of young, attractive female characters (and some older ones) who were both single and childless (and often in dangerous classes, like warrior or duelist. A few such, yes. But nowhere near the numbers in the books.
Yeah… i hate that too….

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Overall… to the author, that is an impressive feat, and to the reader, the same.

BJ Swabb

Sage
I dont know how anyone can read a book a day. I dont think that will ever be me.
I use to read a book a day. One year I read about sixty books in two months. But it was summer so it was easy to do. I love to read. But again reading a book in a full day, I must be dedicated and want to read it all at once, otherswise I grow tired of it. Which is why during that summer I picked books I really wanted to sit down and read. Read all of Percy Jackson, Narnia, Harry Potter, Inheritance Cycle, Divergent, and several classics over that summer. It was great!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I could spit out the words but i fear the typos and lack of cohesion i would end up with. I don't think i get to that pace either.
She has the advantage of multiple Beta Readers offering her advice in almost real time, plus she has mentioned having an assistant. Even so, that is dang impressive, especially since she takes weekly breaks.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
The website for 'The Wandering Inn,' mostly because I mentioned it so often. Lots of art, rudimentary maps, music, and stats. Or you can hop over to the table of contents.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Ugh. I couldn't get past the initial paragraphs. Dropping into second person at random was bad enough, but the clincher was the suddenly-appearing inn perched atop a high hill. Neat trick, mate.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Ugh. I couldn't get past the initial paragraphs. Dropping into second person at random was bad enough, but the clincher was the suddenly-appearing inn perched atop a high hill. Neat trick, mate.
After 8 million words, I hope it got better. Maybe it is an example that story can trump prose.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
>You sit down each day and write 2750 words a day
That leaves no time for planning, no time for revision, no time for proofreading, no time for research; no time, indeed, even for much of anything. Just physically typing that many words is over four hours and that's only if you're typing at 100wpm and make zero mistakes. Four hours of extemporaneous invention of plot, character, dialog, setting, description, etc.

Yes, I know it can be done. But I hope some of the newbies don't get the wrong impression. That is not a realistic pace, nor a sustainable pace. Five hundred words a day is entirely respectable. At some point, allowing for a myriad of other variables, there's a relationship between quantity and quality.

Reactions: Ban

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I'm with skip. I am willing to be amazed, and maybe there is more gong on behind the scenes, but all I could do at that pace is a long stream of consciousness thing. It would not have much cohesion, and feed back or foreshadow itself well.

Maybe one gets a better feel for that writing at that pace...I dont know. It just seems inhumanly possible to maintain.

>You sit down each day and write 2750 words a day
That leaves no time for planning, no time for revision, no time for proofreading, no time for research; no time, indeed, even for much of anything. Just physically typing that many words is over four hours and that's only if you're typing at 100wpm and make zero mistakes. Four hours of extemporaneous invention of plot, character, dialog, setting, description, etc.

Yes, I know it can be done. But I hope some of the newbies don't get the wrong impression. That is not a realistic pace, nor a sustainable pace. Five hundred words a day is entirely respectable. At some point, allowing for a myriad of other variables, there's a relationship between quantity and quality.
I never said it was easy, only that that is how you get to 1 million words in a year.

No, beginning writers shouldn't try to write that much. However, there is a big lesson here. Which is that 1 million words sounds like an insurmountable amount. Something you'll never get to. However, if you break it down into smaller bits, it becomes a lot more manageable. 2.500 words sounds a lot less extreme than 1 million. And while it's still out of reach for most people, maybe 500 or 1000 isn't. And that would still get you a lot of words in a year.

With such an amount, you need to keep in mind that this is probably a full-time writer, who has experience, a solid process, and help along the way. Brandon Sanderson aims for 500.000 words in a year I think. And he writes like this. Just sit down each day and write. He has people who do things like proof-reading, bit of research etc. If you write those 4 hours, then you have 4 more hours left in your day for planning, editing, marketing and so on.

You shouldn't compare yourself to others, but you should realize that consistency is a great way to get results. Not the only way, but it is one of the best ways to get results.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
From the website comments - mostly attached to the ends of the individual chapters, I gather her process goes something like this:

1 - spend 2-3 days making extensive notes

2 - spend 2-3 days using those notes to write the actual chapter in stints that can run for 12 hours or more. She has mentioned doing 10,000+ words during these sessions.

3 - hand the chapter draft over to her onsite Beta Readers - who, amazingly enough, seem to get back to her almost immediately.

4 - type out the polished draft, apparently with help from her assistant. The Kindle versions went through additional rounds of editing.

From her comments, many of the notes in step 1 apply to different chapters.

As to research, some of the chapters have detailed, Indepth accounts of modern-day Earth engineering, medicine and surgical procedures, and chemistry. For these, she solicits information from her readers, which then gets put into the notes in step one.

The part of the process that leaves me boggled is the determination to punch through step 2. 12 solid hours of writing...Dang that'd be a killer. Might explain why she was continually complaining about her health and being exhausted.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
It does seem like a recipe for burnout.

But...she has a good system and its successful. That might go some way to giving the desire to continue it. I suspect she must pay those beta readers.