• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Titles? I'm no good at those things...

MadMadys

Troubadour
Did not see the introduction thread until after I started posting. Shows how quick I am on the uptake.

Anyway, hi! I stumbled upon these forums just looking for resources as I finish my first actual novel. By finish I mean finish the first draft of it. At about 360,000 words I obviously need to do a fair amount of editing which I'm kind of looking forward to after a lot of plot creation. I see it playing as a 5 Book arc though each book in the series tells a stand alone story until the 4th one which leads solidly to the 5th. I've been working on it just over 3 years now and it's been quite the journey of self-discovery.

I've always enjoyed writing. From when my 3rd grade teacher told me she knew she would read a book written by me someday I've been scribbling and writing. Surprising then that it took me as long as it has to get around to writing an actual story. Asked by a friend to read them a bedtime story, knowing I had a certain penchant for stories, I just started rambling. Three weeks later I had told them different stories each knight because I couldn't keep all the characters and places straight by memory alone so I started to write. That turned into the story I have now, gradually, and I'm proud of how far it's come.

I came to the forum for a few reasons. One, looking for people to test the story out on as I've kept it fairly close to the chest so far. Another reason is to help other writers with problems that they may have. I encountered a few issues going at it alone that I learned to overcome (things like writing lethargy, other story ideas taking precedent, shiny objects) so I'd love to help others as well. Plus, in aiding others, I hope to gain some knowledge myself.

So, hoping that this proves to be a mutual benefit to everyone, I'll be off then. Anyone who may be interested in being a guinea pi, er, helpful reader feel free to send a PM. Other than that, everyone have a lovely weekend.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
Hey there, welcome :)
I think you will find exactly what you are looking for here. Congrats on getting that monster done in first draft!
Do feel free to post sample in the Showcase section if you want some constructive critique.
(I wish I could say I had such an encouraging grade school teacher :) )

Weaver

Sage
I stumbled upon these forums just looking for resources as I finish my first actual novel. By finish I mean finish the first draft of it. At about 360,000 words

:eek: Wow. And I thought the 'Tome of Doom' I'd just finished editing was a big one (240K words). Yeah, consider either cutting anything that doesn't need to be there, or splitting your novel into 2 parts. Don't butcher your story to get the word count shorter, though. If you can't cut much without ruining it, making it into two volumes is a far better option.