• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Top 5...Favorite Characters You Created

5: Charity Merritt. A perpetually perky would-be mage who shrugs off almost everything. She's generally well-intentioned, but she doesn't have much in the way of a filter, and she gets the line that has made more of my readers laugh than anything else I've ever written. (Explaining the upside of magically swapping sexes: "Horace, I found those books you hide under your bed, the ones with the drawings of girls having sex with each other. Now that you look like a girl, you can get girls like that to go to bed with you.") She's not a major character, but she makes every scene she's in a little lighter.

4: Maria Rodriguez. A xenobiologist with a tendency towards idealism. After discovering a new intelligent species, she becomes determined to protect it from fearful humans, no matter what the cost may be. She's both a genuinely kind and helpful person and the closest thing the story has to a villain, and I created a lot of tension in how those impacted.

3: Judith. Once a religious fanatic and living embodiment of everything sick and twisted about this sermon, Judith died and went to Hell for some truly horrible things she did in God's name. She became a powerful demoness in the underworld, and her goal is to redeem herself by conquering and Christianizing Hell. It was quite fun to see at what point readers lost sympathy for her--one still saw her as basically decent after she tortured a prostitute, but started to hate her after she made misandrist remarks.

2: Alex "Melody" Smith. A twelve-year-old magic-user who wants to be an anime-style magical girl. Melody is clever, creative, and has a good grasp of tactics, and she'd function quite well in her chosen genre. However, she repeatedly fails to recognize that she's not in that genre, and because of this, she makes some very bad decisions. She flips quite easily between comic relief and a serious heroic figure, and she has very strong chemistry with . . .

1: Penitence Price. Having witnessed the murder of her parents, Price consciously modeled herself after her favorite superheroes, trying to become a heroic crimefighter in the same vein. By nature, she favors emotion over logic and tends to see things in very simplistic terms. However, the more she plays the role of a gadgeteer hero, the more she thinks like one, becoming oddly logical in a very self-contradictory fashion.

Price gets to be #1 for being a walking paradox that actually resolves itself. Her superheroism is both illogical and founded on the principles of logic she claims to revere, but rather than ceasing to be a hero, she simply reframes herself. She's the only character in the entire book who can recognize when her life isn't going according to genre and act accordingly, and this allows her to be heroic in situations where Melody fails.

Last edited:
1. Dark Lord Thomas Pie- I invented him the day I got my Nintendo Switch, a few years back, and I thought he was so cool I decided he would be my mascot. I began to put him in stories, and invented a backstory for him as a dragon that shape-shifted into human form to trick people. He's also the fifth dark lord, and the son of a god. He's very egotistical and ridiculous.
2. Comic Man- I invented him in 4th grade, and he's a superhero with a CM symbol on his shirt. He is an idiot, but he's incredibly powerful. His sidekick is Thunder Woman. He got his superpowers when aliens invaded Earth when he was a baby, because he drank a potion his father made (his father is a scientist, and also an alchemist). His signature power is his POWer, which allows him to create a POW! in the air, and it floats around his opponent and traps them.
3. Purple Man Senior- He's the last of his kind, Purple Dwarves from a purple planet. Even though he has a son, that he keeps forgetting about. Both him and his son are utterly insane space wizards. He does not wear trousers, and he freezes people with his clammy hands.
4. Ezkelly- she is from my first novel ever, written in 4th grade. The novel is incredibly convoluted, and revolves around her, Gandhi, and a vast assortment of heroes and villains like Ender Kitty, Gandalf the Cat, Bobily, and more!
5. Koona Man- my first superhero ever, he is what I named my comics universe after (Koonaverse). I invented him in third grade. He got his powers from a magical cave, and he can create shadow blades. He does not appear much, and dies by the end of the original Comic Man stories.

Okay, here's my list:
5) Hyacinth Alermoode: Hyacinth is a girl in my story The legend of the moonstone. She is brave and kind, and I like her because she saves another character from death at the hands of someone else. She also has an interesting backstory: Her mother and suster died when she was young, and she needs to survive the contest because her remaining family needs her help to survive.
4) Eris Darkeye: Eris is from a book series i'm writing. She first shows up in book 8, Shadow, and is a prisoner of war. After the battle she was taken to a nearby city and became a slave of the king and queen. However, she managed to escape, and becam one of the leaders of the revolution. I admire her because of everything she had to endure.
3) Ambrosia: Ambrosia is the princess of the city where Eris was taken as a slave. Ambrosia saw what happened to the slaves, and tried to stand up for them, many times. However, everything she said was ignored. So she ran away from home in book 8, and returned there in book 9 to take part in the revolution.
2) Niko Aljnure: Niko is in The legend of the moonstone. He is the most ruthless contestant of all, and is hated by everybody else. However, it is eventually revealed that he has a very amazing (and nightmarish) backstory.
1) Lyra Harpsong: Lyra is also in The legend of the moonstone. She is my favourite character mostky because i can relate to her the most :).

Okay, here's my list:
5) Hyacinth Alermoode: Hyacinth is a girl in my story The legend of the moonstone. She is brave and kind, and I like her because she saves another character from death at the hands of someone else. She also has an interesting backstory: Her mother and suster died when she was young, and she needs to survive the contest because her remaining family needs her help to survive.
4) Eris Darkeye: Eris is from a book series i'm writing. She first shows up in book 8, Shadow, and is a prisoner of war. After the battle she was taken to a nearby city and became a slave of the king and queen. However, she managed to escape, and becam one of the leaders of the revolution. I admire her because of everything she had to endure.
3) Ambrosia: Ambrosia is the princess of the city where Eris was taken as a slave. Ambrosia saw what happened to the slaves, and tried to stand up for them, many times. However, everything she said was ignored. So she ran away from home in book 8, and returned there in book 9 to take part in the revolution.
2) Niko Aljnure: Niko is in The legend of the moonstone. He is the most ruthless contestant of all, and is hated by everybody else. However, it is eventually revealed that he has a very amazing (and nightmarish) backstory.
1) Lyra Harpsong: Lyra is also in The legend of the moonstone. She is my favourite character mostky because i can relate to her the most :).
Oops! I accidentally made a spelling mistake. When talking about Hyacinth i meant to write "sister" instead of "suster". Sorry!

LittleOwlbear

Minstrel
I like lot of the characters I created and it's hard to make a top 5, but at the moment my favorite, and might will be for a long time is my protagonist

Ruvin Maylea

My protagonist, whose character developed from my avatar in a first playthrough of Baldur's Gate.
Ruvin is a 250-year-old High Elf Druid, more of the "studies nature and is a quite powerful spellcaster"-type, less of the "hippie"-type, and oh boi, in 250 years a lot of things happen. Ah yes, and I also don't like leaves and branches all over the design for druids, meh, we don't have that here.

They run a magic school and is a warm-hearted person, taking responsibility for the school, and obsessing over their subject and interests. Despite being 250 years old, they can be an impulsive idiot at times, prone to anger, but trying not to and know it better I also want to let shine it through they are neurodivergent and will absolutely show you their weird pets ... and well, they are sometimes quite, uhm, horny. :D

They were born as Rubilyee, are non-binary / genderfluid, occasionally using both names themselves and also they/she pronouns. For writing, it's simpler to go just by one name and pronoun most of the time, I guess, so it's the self-chosen one. They are my first non-binary significant character in a long story.

Ruvin comes from a Southern clan of High Elves known for their powerful mages, the Maylea clean, and has a brown skin complexion.
In their youth, around 30-40 years old, they moved to a druid grove in a Northern wooded area, undergoing training for about three decades. However, they realized that most of them lived too secluded from the world for their liking.

While traveling for a while, they met their first long-term partner, while they had a few short relationships / friends to sleep with before. Both of them found employment at a magic school (different one from the one they lead now) and taught there.
A conflict in the land led to their wife being killed in battle by a Drow, so they went absolutely rampage on the one who killed their wife, sparking a longstanding feud due to the Drow being the daughter of a general that leads to the present day situation.
In grief and anger, Ruvin found themselves on the wrong side of a conflict against the Drow. They became aware of this soon, trying to take it back, and now they avoid discussing anything about this Drow general as much as possible, until they can't ignore it any longer.

They were in a polyamorous relationship with a human man (and an Elfen woman, still ongoing since long) after, having a son with the human, which displeased their mother, who belonged to their origin clan council, viewing half-elves as bastards. Despite the disapproval, Ruvin raised the child, loving their son and their human partner passed away at around 80.

In the present, the city and the school Ruvin leads are attacked due to a political conflict. While they are fighting for their students, they are poisoned with iron (as mythology says pure iron drains fey magic and life) and kidnapped.
As a result, they lose a significant portion of their former powers for the next few months. They go through the worst time in their life then, losing lot of their magic they were proud of, suffering some permanent nerve damage in arms and hands from the poison, and were assaulted a few times and humiliated in other ways for two weeks they were captured.
They are trying to "keep it together" in front of the girl they will take care of, because she needs them. They do suffer from ptsd and sleep... uhm trance insomnia tho. The whole story is called Reverie, since Elves call their trance like that, and is about their memories.

My second main character is a Tiefling man and their later love interest. He helps them and the human child escaping and they take care of the child together, they travel through the country, while their longtime Elfen wife embarks on a quest to find them and she is my third main character.
About that... I found it quite "problematic" at first writing an escape romance, falling in love with the man who saved them, but Ruvin is very active on saving themselves and the captured child with his help in that first chapter.
It also takes a while for both of them falling for another properly, since they start out viewing each other as friends and comrades in battle - with some underlying attraction they choose not to ignore after they healed for a bit. At first their head ofc was not clear for anything close to romance and he wouldn't have insisted, but then they do.
Since he's a Tiefling and people rather avoid him, he didn't have a close friend or partner for long time, so he just enjoys their companionship one way or another.

Last edited:

Rowan_Doll

Acolyte
5. Fox Foster
- A foster kid, with a lot of secrets.
4. Lucifer
- Yes I know he's not technically my character, but he's my version of him, and he's kinda based on Lucifer Morningstar, from the show 'Lucifer' and the Lucifer from 'Hazbin Hotel'.
3. Tucker Jayden August
- He is Tate's twin brother. and he is based on myself and my brother a little bit, he has Autism and OCD, I have autism, and my brother has OCD.
2. Tate Troy August
- He's so cool! He's the first diverse character I made, in the sense that he is a straight, flamboyant, Hispanic. Keep in my I made this character long ago, so I have made many more diverse characters, but he's the first.
1. Elliot Dawson
- He's my idol, I know he's fake, but he's meant to be the protective, loving dad/brother/male figure in my life I never got.