• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Translation on fictive languages

Orilindë

Scribe
For those of you who use a fictitious language you've created as part of your worldbuilding, do you translate it in dialogues? For example, if you have a dialogue in English, but a phrase that a character says in that dialogue is in a fictitious native tongue, do you leave the translation to the reader's imagination?

Queshire

Istar
It hasn't really come up, but I prefer playing around with the font or quotation marks to indicate foreign languages. <I might write something meant to be in another language like this,> or use italics to indicate telepathic communication. If you're focusing on publishing online instead of on paper than you can even add in coloring the words for, say, angelic speech.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
So far when such a situation presented itself I've either had main characters who were able to understand the language and could translate it, or I used an omniscient POV who informed the audience. That said, there are instances where I think it would benefit the narrative if the fictitious words/sentences are not translated. Let's say your characters are walking through a bazaar in a foreign country where none of them know the local languages. In a scene like that, I would write the dialogue without providing translations.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I’m not a conlang guy – it take way too much hard work to do well.
So I usually assume there is some form of “common” or that Babel fish are available.
But to add colour I will lift idioms and phrases I like from other languages and translate them into their literal English equivalent.
A Mexican friend taught me “Hincar los codos” which is literally “Nail the elbows” but means “Get down to studying”.
I had a mage say “Got to nail the elbows if we’re ever going to find that map” [and then everyone looked at him...]
And I love the Italian phrase “Tutto fa Brodo” – “Everything make broth” which means “Every little helps…”
Haven’t worked that one in yet!
I tried including Polari words and phrases but I couldn’t make it work.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
When I was first starting to write things, I did start to make a Conlang, which I tried to piece together from root words. I had a small spread sheet with it. But....I dropped it pretty quickly, as it just slowed me down.

Later, I used words meant to sound like a different language, but I came to decide that what they added, immersion, was lost because people would just skip over them and not sound them out.

Later still, I tried using different fonts for different languages....Um...no...don't do that.

And after that, I tried putting all foreign bits in italics as a way of showing it was being translated. I lived with that for a long time and thought it was effective enough, but I dropped it as, it made a lot of the story show up in italics, which some found distracting.

So....Where I am at now is just attaching the language spoken to the sentence, assuming someone can understand it.

"Halt, and speak your name," a command came in jargoish.

"I am Tom, let me in," Tom shouted back in his own tongue.

"State your business," the voice came back, its language shifting to Tom's own.

If no one can understand I usually write something like, words were spoken, but Tom could not understand them.

I recently read that a favoured fantasy author of mine kept an 9000 word etymology file for their novels. This is making me rethink the words I am currently using. So far, I am using the ones I have chosen after a basic research into their etymology, but I will need to go back and research them more carefully if I ever want to go down the route of publishing.

I’ve also taken different approaches to the question laid out in the OP. I think sometimes readers would get the references I have made and others won’t, but I don’t make too many allowances for readers to understand everything because I feel there has to be a suspension of reality where fantasy is concerned.

Orilindë

Scribe
I thought that it could be an interesting part of my worldbuilding. But I can really see how it both can slow down the writing, and be a thing needing a book on its own.

Great to hear about how other writers feel about this topic.

Gallio

Minstrel
Tolkien gives translations of many of his Elvish names and phrases. Some phrases are left to the reader to work out, though he provides clues (among many other things, LOTR is a linguistic puzzle). Some things are left untranslated, e.g. the orc's curse in TT -- the reader can work out the general intent of it, but the specifics are left to the imagination. Tolkien actually gave two different translations of this curse in his later writings (see 'Orkish and the Black Speech' on the website Ardalambion.net).

Last edited:
I was going to mention Tolkien, considering he was a linguist for a job he had a slight advantage. But he too, left room for a great deal of suspension of reality where pronunciation and mystique were concerned, but the again all modern fantasy novels kind of have been inspired by his way of doing things.