• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Trouble getting started with projects

Russ

Istar
I was thinking about just writing up rough, less detailed stories and keep filling it up with details once the story itself is "already written", working my way up kind of layer by layer instead of trying to write up things chronologically, but i thought it would be worth asking for advice from more experienced writers over here.

Lots of good advice upstream in this thread for you. At some level I think you have to enjoy writing to do it consistently and well, but that can take many forms.

Anyways, your last idea is an interesting one. There are many different ways to outline or write a book. There is one chap who starts out writing a 20 page outline and then he beefs it up and it turns into a 100 page outline and he effectively just keeps filling and beefing up his outline until he has the book finished. His name is Jeffery Deaver and you can't argue with his results.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
^^^ Ha! Yes! They are all like that. Not generalizing, just sayin'.

That's why I said "Asked to Prom" and not "Went to prom" lol.

Gribba

Troubadour
So many good advices here...

Keep writing all your ideas down and adding to them as you come up with more ideas. Pick one story/idea and start writing, with all the sores and boils that come with it...
Like you suggest you can write a rough draft and add and add and add and delete and add some more. Find your way to do it.

I totally agree with this:
... But you have to dare to fail and screw up and fall short of your own expectations. It's really the only way out.

But what I would like to suggest you to do, is, to keep reminding yourself that all those excuses your head is bringing up are not correct!
And you can do this, just jump in and go for it... and the best part is... if it is bad you can change it, fix it or delete it all and write it again.

Self-doubt is not your friend so drop that one, tell that irritating self-doubt to go away because you don't want that thing anywhere near you. It is easier said than done (believe me I know) but if you keep reminding yourself, everyday, to not doubt yourself, you will get there, where self-doubt is not such a big part of your inner dialog.

You got this!
:)

Last edited: