• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What is the difference between literary fiction and genre/popular fiction?

I think Stephen King said, "Literary fiction is about extraordinary people in ordinary situations, whereas genre fiction was about ordinary people in extraordinary situations."

Many literary authors would say, "Literary fiction is art, and genre fiction is pulp trash."

Many genre authors would say, "Genre makes money, literary fiction is written just to impress other literary fiction writers."

Which is right? Probably a bit of all three.

I think Stephen King said, "Literary fiction is about extraordinary people in ordinary situations, whereas genre fiction was about ordinary people in extraordinary situations."

Many literary authors would say, "Literary fiction is art, and genre fiction is pulp trash."

Many genre authors would say, "Genre makes money, literary fiction is written just to impress other literary fiction writers."

I'd say all three are exactly right, as ways to put each in their nutshells.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat

Can someone explain this one to me? I don't understand it.

Mindfire

Istar

I don't agree with that second one...