• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Who Do You Write Like?

Tom

Istar
Ouch...I hope for your sake that the algorithm is inaccurate in regards to Meyer...She has some of the worst purple prose I've ever seen. It might just be you use the word topaz a lot, especially to describe eyes.

Incanus

Auror
I put in a bit of my novella WIP, and it said "Edgar Allen Poe". I'm happy with that, but I'm wondering how deep the author roster is.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I put in three samples, one from about fifteen years ago, the others more recent.

With the old piece, it told me I wrote like JRR Tolkien. The other two were Daniel Defoe (of 'Robinson Crusoe' fame) and Ursula K LeGuin. Makes me wonder if I broke the dang thing.

Noma Galway

Archmage
I put in a piece of my WIP that doesn't work with the plot anymore and got Ernest Hemingway. Then I put in some other pieces from that time frame. I again got Ernest Hemingway.

My current and updated WIP (the couple paragraphs I have in that so far) it thinks are written like Anne Rice. I now feel better about my writing.

Ruby

Auror
Hi, I hope you're all finding this useful or, at least, fun! I don't know how accurate it is, but it could be used to check if your writing is consistent within a long work such as an epic novel. I suppose you could also use it if you have different narrators in certain sections of your book. Also, you can check whether you're using an appropriate style for your chosen genre(s).

I'm going to paste some of my flash fiction on there now and see what I get. This has offered a nice little opportunity for procrastination during Nanowrimo! :eek:

Last edited:

Gryphos

Auror
Wow, this thing just could not decide who I write like. I posted the first five chapters of my WIP and got, in order, Dan Brown, Margaret Atwood, Stephen King, David Foster Wallace and Ursula K. Le Guin. Then I started putting in random sections and got a whole array of writers including Ian Fleming, James Joyce, Harry Harrison, Raymond Chandler and Neil Gaiman.

Not sure what to make of this.

kennyc

Inkling
Who do you write like?

Hi everyone, how's it going? I've just discovered a site called "I Write Like". You paste excerpts from your text and it analyses your writing and tells you which famous writer's style you use. I pasted several bits of chapters from the wip written this week and a year ago. I got Bram Stoker for all of them. At least I'm consistent! As far as I know, I don't have any vampires in my Nanowrimo WIP, set in the Victorian era. I am writing a graphic novel about vampires, however, so that's interesting!

Here's the link: I Write Like

Please post your results below!

Do you agree with the verdict? Are you using the same style throughout your book or does it vary?

I love this thing. :) I just tried four different flash fiction pieces and got four different answers, H.G. Wells, Arthur C. Clarke, Chuck Palahniuk and David Foster Wallace :rofl:

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I write like every day.

(sorry, I keep seeing the subject line and I finally gave in to my lesser impulses)