• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing about sex, intimacy and relationships

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
If truth be told I never thought about it in that way but I can see why the story would come across that way. I largely saw it as a hero's journey adventure story.
I don't see why you couldn't do both. Hero's Journeys are often all about self-discovery, while adventure is happening left, right, and center. It gives depth and complexity to the character, can go a long way to explaining the initial Refusal of the Call, and can support the evidence of her transformation into someone to be reconned with.

Miles Lacey

Archmage
It's been a crazy week so I haven't had time to write anything on this thread. Hero's journey and heroine discovering herself combined has always been a popular theme. I've always liked tough female characters so that fits in well with what I am aiming for.

I've already linked my Excellent Bonking scenes article a thousand times so I won't bother again, unless by popular acclaim...

Already been plenty of good advice in this thread so I'll just add what I say about every scene ever... put yourself in the scene. Immerse yourself in every sensory detail then just describe that.

Smell is always important in sex scenes.

Also, never forget that readers bring their own experience of sex (or their fantasies) to the table and will fill the gaps in your narrative with their own details. Tap into that and you'll kill it every time.