• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Seeing the Finishing Line

Rob P

Minstrel
Hi, I've just recently joined the forum and have read many intersting and useful threads. One of particular note recently was active and passive sentences.

I have finished a first draft of my story but not calling it the first draft as I feel it still lacks certain elements. That said, I'm currently in the process of editing and it's on this aspect that I seek some opions and guidance.

We read and hear that after writing a story there is the process of editing, redrafting, editing yet again and onwards until the story is done, sculptured into a work of art. There must come a point when the writer can perceive the end is near and I'm wondering if there is something tangible that a writer can hang on a hook and say, "I'm almost there."

Or is it like falling in love, you know when you know?

TWErvin2

Auror
If a writer gets to the point where it's fidgeting with a word here and maybe altering a few phrases of dialouge there, then the project is probably finished and the writer needs to move toward to the next step in the process (seek publication, self publishing, or whatever the objective is).

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
When I edit I go through in stages. Stage 1 is the big picture edit. I fix all the big plot holes and stuff like that ignoring the tiny stuff. Stage 2 is when I go through each scene and make sure that's internally consistent with the whole story. Stage 3 is the language draft. It's where I polish dialogue and description adding and subtracting as needed. I repeat these steps as needed until I can read through without anything major bugging me. Some say if you change less than 10% during a pass then it's done.

Saigonnus

Auror
When I edit I go through in stages. Stage 1 is the big picture edit. I fix all the big plot holes and stuff like that ignoring the tiny stuff. Stage 2 is when I go through each scene and make sure that's internally consistent with the whole story. Stage 3 is the language draft. It's where I polish dialogue and description adding and subtracting as needed. I repeat these steps as needed until I can read through without anything major bugging me. Some say if you change less than 10% during a pass then it's done.

I haven't dig deep into the forums (you know, the stuff that's been there forever without a comment) so I haven't seen anyone actually sit down and give a step-by-step on how they do editing and i've had a post or two along the lines without any real help. I appreciate this thread just for your comments. :)

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I haven't dig deep into the forums (you know, the stuff that's been there forever without a comment) so I haven't seen anyone actually sit down and give a step-by-step on how they do editing and i've had a post or two along the lines without any real help. I appreciate this thread just for your comments. :)

There have been several threads where different authors discuss step by step editing processes.

Jamber

Sage
I'd just like to add the importance of a final read as a reader (not a writer). It helps to put the manuscript onto a 'read-only' device like a kindle: you'd be amazed what you pick up when in reading mode.
Hope this helps,
Jennie

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team

I blush. :p Glad I could be useful.

Hi, I've just recently joined the forum and have read many intersting and useful threads. One of particular note recently was active and passive sentences.

I have finished a first draft of my story but not calling it the first draft as I feel it still lacks certain elements. That said, I'm currently in the process of editing and it's on this aspect that I seek some opions and guidance.

We read and hear that after writing a story there is the process of editing, redrafting, editing yet again and onwards until the story is done, sculptured into a work of art. There must come a point when the writer can perceive the end is near and I'm wondering if there is something tangible that a writer can hang on a hook and say, "I'm almost there."

Or is it like falling in love, you know when you know?

"There *MUST* come a point"? Sorry, no. Welcome to the land of the never-satisfied. I think it is the rare writer that upon reading their work doesn't go, "Ooh, why didn't I put that word there, or why did I say it like that when I could have said it that way?" Seriously, at some point you just have to put the book down and run far, far away.

But, you can probably tell you are nearing that point when your editor says it's good to go.