• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Recent content by Insolent Lad

  1. Insolent Lad

    What is your worlds stance on lgbtq folks?

    When more than a few of the gods are LGBTQ+ (or the equivalent in their setting), humans are likely to be accepting of it. This hasn't prevented a few intolerant sects and societies from developing but they tend to be outside the mainstream. And the elves, of course, are a bit notorious (whether...
  2. Insolent Lad

    What makes you read a book multiple times?

    I'm old enough to be revisiting books I first read decades ago and feeling the need to reacquaint myself with them. I have to admit, quite a few have proven disappointing (most recently, a couple of Richard Adams titles). On the other hand, I reread most of Asimov's SF this summer and was more...
  3. Insolent Lad

    Fantasy/fiction in modern setting

    The greater part of Stephen King's output is fantasy (albeit frequently 'horror fantasy') in a modern setting. Not that I'm a King fan but he does seem popular. Gaiman's 'American Gods' is very much fantasy set in the contemporary world.
  4. Insolent Lad

    What are you top fifteen Favorite Novels / Series?

    Off the top of my head and not necessarily in order: Brideshead Revisited — Waugh The Lord of the Rings — Tolkien Vanity Fair — Thackeray The Sun Also Rises — Hemingway Emma — Austen Niebla — de Unamuno The King of Elfland’s Daughter — Dunsany (not to mention all the short stories. Oh, I...
  5. Insolent Lad

    Why do you like Harry Potter?

    Can't say I do like the series. The first two or three books were fairly entertaining, despite a lot of 'junk words' and adverb abuse, but then the story devolved into stupid people doing stupid things to make the plot work. And Rowling's prejudices are not far under the surface, if one looks...
  6. Insolent Lad

    What's the oldest movie you've watched/seen?

    I think that might be the original 1918 silent version of Tarzan of the Apes with Elmo Lincoln in the title role.
  7. Insolent Lad

    How Do You Build a Believable Divination System for a Fantasy World?

    I generally prefer a scientific (or pseudo-scientific or 'rubber science') explanation for this--and pretty much everything else of a 'supernatural' sort. My peeks into the future are more akin to what one might find in Dune or The Book of the New Sun. I suppose one might argue that, at its...
  8. Insolent Lad

    What tool to use?

    It is. OpenOffice doesn't keep adding as many 'bells and whistles' and might be a tad more stable. I use Libre mostly because it comes with most Linux distributions and implements more OpenType features. I need my small caps.
  9. Insolent Lad

    Where to Write

    Being old-fashioned (or maybe just old) I do all my writing off-line, mostly using LibreOffice. Drafting on my laptop, comfortably on the couch, editing, formatting, and all the rest at my desktop in the office. Frequent back-ups via equally old-fashioned USB sticks. If you do need others to see...
  10. Insolent Lad

    Gods and Wizards

    Some world-building notes, mostly about gods: The Gods
  11. Insolent Lad

    Writing a magazine article?

    Wrote quite a few when I was younger but they were mostly for fitness and bodybuilding magazines. The world has changed a lot since I was sending typewritten pages to editors.
  12. Insolent Lad

    Web Novel Platforms

    Royal Road is supposedly better for fantasy-oriented writing (as well as, ah, 'spicy' stories) but it's hard to be noticed on any platform.
  13. Insolent Lad

    A quote from the late Sir Terry Pratchett...

    As much of Pratchett's writing, I think this should be taken as a tongue in cheek exaggeration. That doesn't mean there's no validity to it.
  14. Insolent Lad

    Trialectic?

    I can say I've never come up with a plot without first having a character to build it around. Only then can I figure out something for them to do.
  15. Insolent Lad

    Discovery mapping

    Once I have a map I generally take the attitude 'this is your world, deal with it,' and build the narrative to match it. Just as I would when writing historical fiction. If nothing else, it makes it easier to move on with the story.
Top