• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The other POV

Addison

Auror
When most writers begin writing a story they worry about whether it's best in first or third person. They spend little time wondering about which character tells the story. Different character, different story.

For example, "The Great Gatsby" is about a man named Gatsby. He's the main character, the focus, of the story, but it's told from the POV of his neighbor.

LotR is told from several POV's as there's several stories going on at once.

Harry Potter is told from Harry's eyes.

But what would the story be like if one or all of the Harry Potter books was written from Ron's eyes? Or Fred's? Peeves'? HUGE difference for each of them.

I've been trying this for some of my WiP's and I must say it is incredible. I highly suggest it, either for fun, to beat writer's block, or to use for a full story.

AnnaBlixt

Minstrel
Very good tip. I sometimes use it for troublesome chapters. I have written some chapters from two POVs, and I will chose later which one to use. For one thing, it really helps me sort out how the characters see each other, for another thing it lets me chose which one has the most interesting POV. It started with the female lead who lies all the time. It made it really hard to write from her POV, as I have to reveal more than I wanted to when I wrote from her perspective. So I started writing her chapters from the outside instead. She became more interesting that way.

Xaysai

Inkling
I read a book called "Rant" by Chuck Palahnuik, and it's an "oral history" told from the perspective of the MC's acquaintances throughout his life.

At first I didn't think I was going to like the format, but the author does a great job of having the different POV's describe slightly different versions of events when talking about the same events.

It's a great tool. Any clear viewpoint is a "twofer," a chance to make your points but use the VP to make implications about both the facts and the observer... but separating the VP more makes those points even clearer.

(Holmes and Watson, Holmes and Watson...)

Addison

Auror
....what about a ghost. Like, imagine Mulan's story, written, told from the POV of an ancestor's ghost. He sees her, she doesn't see him but we hear/read everything he has to say about the matter. For example "She's crazy. Like cutting her hair will make her a man. Men aren't blind young lady. Cutting hair is different from cutting flesh I tell you right now. Well you know how to put on armor, but scaring your horse isn't proof enough. But you do ride like a man, that's for sure."

Ireth

Myth Weaver
This sounds like a challenge in the making. :D "Rewrite a scene from your favorite novel from someone else's POV."

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
If you want to check out another book where the protagonist isn't the POV character, try To Kill a Mockingbird. Atticus finch is the hero but the story is told through the eyes of Scout his daughter.