• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Astral Cat's Character Designs

AstralCat

Scribe
These are all characters that I drew specifically so that I'd have a visual reference for when I'm writing the book that they appear in. It's easier for me to picture them in my head that way.

They're also used as references for the illustrations that I plan on putting in the book. The illustrations will be in black and white, but I make color references of them because why not.

The pictures will be accompanied by short descriptions of the characters. I am open to constructive criticism for both the designs of the characters and the whole premise of the characters.

Anyway here we go...

Princess Rynera Ryolta and Princess Solia Ryolta
Rynera and Solia are the twin elvish princesses of the island kingdom of Myda. Rynera is the crowned princess, due to her being born first, by about five minutes. The two care deeply for each other, but are also deeply jealous of each other. Rynera feels burdened by her responsibilities, whereas Solia would love to prove that she would make a capable queen.

Side note: ...The dyed green braids are a sign of royalty in Myda. At one time they were used to identify slaves, but Myda no longer allows slavery. The Ryolta Dynasty wears green braids to symbolicly show that they are servants of their people, and claim no honor for themselves.

High Spellcast Alitra Len'e
Alitra is approximately four feet tall, which is a foot taller than your average female dwarf. Alitra is actually half dwarf and half elf. She was born with an immense affinity for magic, and at a young age she left her dwarven father to travel the world, having many adventures. She now uses the knowledge that she acquired on her travels to advise the Queen of Myda on matters pertaining to magic. ...She's also about 120 years old, but shows no sign of aging other than her white hair. Nobody knows why and she doesn't seem keen on telling anyone. (In this world, Humans, Elves, and Dwarves all have the same longevity.)

I will add more as they are made.

Jabrosky

Banned
I do find it novel that your elves have tanner skin than the fantasy norm. They look like they could be Middle Eastern or Mediterranean. Very good work!

Jess A

Archmage
Great artwork! Love the costumes especially.

I also like the concept behind the green braids. I assume it works in theory, but it'd be interesting to see royal characters who crave power above humility and how that plays out.

AstralCat

Scribe
Great artwork! Love the costumes especially.

I also like the concept behind the green braids. I assume it works in theory, but it'd be interesting to see royal characters who crave power above humility and how that plays out.

I'm currently toying with that idea. Solia is the more ambitious twin, and actually wants the throne, whereas Rynera doesn't but tries her best out of a sense of duty... and really that's just asking to get complicated later on. Their relationship will be strained if anything.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Oh, those are just charming! I love the costume detail you put in, and the personality in their faces.