• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Another word for Guardian

AstralCat

Scribe
I might be over thinking semantics... again. But here is a thing that stumps me.

In the story I'm writing, there are these people... let's call them "Chosen Ones" (don't worry, they're not actually called that). They are chosen by the spirit of a particularly powerful magical artifact to be its wielder, and create change in the world, or else help the world avert a huge calamity. When one bearer dies, the magical artifact chooses another to take their place.

But this isn't so much about the Chosen Ones. This is about the people that help the Chosen One. Traditionally, when a new Chosen One is discovered, they go out into the world, traveling, righting wrongs, and generally helping anyone they come across. But it's never good to travel alone, so, traditionally, the Chosen One will bring a group of skilled individuals and trusted friends along as traveling companions and protectors.

Since this has been going on for so long, I figure that people would have developed a widely accepted word to refer to someone traveling with the Chosen One. I had considered "Guardian" but I feel like that word is too overused by... everyone. ...And "Companion" just makes me think of Doctor Who.

Now what? ._.

I'll go with Guardian if I can't think of anything better, but I feel like there must be a better word to describe these people. Maybe I could make up a word? It is a fantasy setting after all. Or would that be confusing?

Sandor

Dreamer
Hi! :)

Let's see...
- Warden;
- Overseer;
- Sentinel;
- Custodian (arcaic, but funny).

Do they fit?

EDIT: you can even mix things up, like adding some adjective (Oath Wardens, i.e.).
I'll even add:
- Acolyte;
- Adepts (with some adjective).

Last edited:

The Unseemly

Troubadour
Considering that this seems like a cinematic name that's supposed to have a tad more meaning than a more "common" name such as Guardian, Guard, Warden, Overseer, Sentinel, Custodian, etc... Why don't you just come up with a completely new name, or something that is rarely used?

Praetor is one that I haven't seen much, but something that I think could fit here. The peoples could be called the Praetors. Or diversify the word and get something like Praeses, Praest or Praesor?

Just a few ideas.

As long as their purpose is clearly understood it doesn't matter what you call them. I'd invent a word that sounded a little like the proper word like:

- vigilists
- vigils
- hengemen

What about giving these fellows a secondary purpose unknown to the chosen ones, which comes into play when certain circumstances arise. Eg, they are obliged to kill the chosen one if the artefact is endangered so that the artefact cannot be captured with a person able to use it. (There are powerful temptations to the dark side!)

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Sounds like a Champion to me. Conversely, Guardian is a wonderful word that encompasses everything you describe.

Taniwha

Scribe
I might be over thinking semantics... again. But here is a thing that stumps me.

In the story I'm writing, there are these people... let's call them "Chosen Ones" (don't worry, they're not actually called that). They are chosen by the spirit of a particularly powerful magical artifact to be its wielder, and create change in the world, or else help the world avert a huge calamity. When one bearer dies, the magical artifact chooses another to take their place.

But this isn't so much about the Chosen Ones. This is about the people that help the Chosen One. Traditionally, when a new Chosen One is discovered, they go out into the world, traveling, righting wrongs, and generally helping anyone they come across. But it's never good to travel alone, so, traditionally, the Chosen One will bring a group of skilled individuals and trusted friends along as traveling companions and protectors.

Since this has been going on for so long, I figure that people would have developed a widely accepted word to refer to someone traveling with the Chosen One. I had considered "Guardian" but I feel like that word is too overused by... everyone. ...And "Companion" just makes me think of Doctor Who.

Now what? ._.

I'll go with Guardian if I can't think of anything better, but I feel like there must be a better word to describe these people. Maybe I could make up a word? It is a fantasy setting after all. Or would that be confusing?
'They Who Serve'
Does it need to be a descriptive name or can it simply be a word that is made up in line with the language if the book? I'm thinking of all the names given to creatures in Star Wars - just sounds really- not descriptions.
eg. The Maranashkee