• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to find an audience without publishing a book

Dark One,

I'm not quite sure how to interpret your post.

On the one hand it's what I've been saying all the time, on the other hand it sounds a bit accusatory :)

Hi Atlaxa, I'm not accusing anything - just saying I think it pretty pointless trying to advertise something that doesn't exist in the most competitive and oversaturated market there is - fiction writing.

And as Svrtnsse suggested, the third book is the one that gets published - was for me at least. The first two are about learning how to write and finding your voice. The third one is where you apply those new skills to a really cool story premise that piques interest.

Atlaxa

Scribe
Hi Atlaxa, I'm not accusing anything - just saying I think it pretty pointless trying to advertise something that doesn't exist in the most competitive and oversaturated market there is - fiction writing.

Dark One,

Again, I totally agree. The title of my thread is meant sarcastically. You are absolutely right, and it wouldn't feel right to advertise a future book. At least not to me. Besides, I'm absolutely sure that only known authors could do it.

Last edited:

Atlaxa

Scribe
Svrtnsse,

I agree. I started the whole thread, because I keep reading on various sites that this is how it should be done. First marketing, then writing. I was curious to see how many here agree.

Apparently not many. :) Understandable.

Bansidhe

Minstrel
No doubt about it, it's an exciting time to be an author, but also a very NOISY one. A lot of the articles I've read like the one you mention tends to be just that--noise. They're trying to tap into a "hot topic" to boost their own following rather than help someone else build their own platform.

Here's what's worked for me:

Starting my own blog, for my own sake, and sharing my writing journey, research notes, and joining a couple blog-hop type communities for writers. Now that I'm published I'm still doing this, but my Wordpress site has since morphed to become more site-like, but I still blog my progress and growing pains once a week. This keeps my followers up to date without all the BUY MY BOOK spam. I hint at what I'm writing, to intrigue, but without spoiling anything (I hope). When I do have a success to announce, I do it with unfettered enthusiasm to get other people excited, but without all the BUY BUY BUY!!! If I DO present an action item (or "trigger"), then I offer something in exchange--a free bonus. Pre-Order my book? You go on a list to get something exclusive and awesome as a thank-you. Got a frequent commenter who helped you along the way to greatness with their encouragement? Give them a shout out, do an interview with them on your blog (they have followers, too), or do something equally generous or nice, like review their book, if they have one.

Study what successful authors are doing in your genre, and see if you can emulate them to a certain extent. (Hugh Howey is an an excellent example--he's warm, giving, and exceedingly generous of spirit.) Progress meters of what you're drafting tends to be popular.

Blog engines are making it easier than ever to cross-pollinate. The majority of my content originates on Wordpress, but it automatically cross-posts to Twitter, FB, Tumblr, Google+, Goodreads, etc. You can then use your dashboard to see where the majority of your followers are coming from (Twitter for me). On my author's FB page I share reading and writing (and geek) related pictures, as well as of cool looking costumes and settings, that then reaches my Tweet-peeps, with little effort on my part and to break up the monotony of text. Once a week I share small snippet of my WIP the same way.

In the end, I've found that being open, warm, occasionally witty, and sharing my triumphs--and being approachable--does the most good. If I like a book, I drop the author a fun, enthusiastic note on Twitter or FB they can then share with their followers--because it makes them feel good, and you end up widening your sphere of influence.

Sharing your personal journey to bookdom with others in the same boat is generally a good start. Then, when you do have a book ready to go, you have people to share the joy with--and to spread the word.

I hope this helps! :)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
In the end, I've found that being open, warm, occasionally witty, and sharing my triumphs--and being approachable--does the most good. If I like a book, I drop the author a fun, enthusiastic note on Twitter or FB they can then share with their followers--because it makes them feel good, and you end up widening your sphere of influence.

I think this is very central. Being active, open and approachable while maintaining a positive attitude will make people want to follow you of their own will.

Bansidhe

Minstrel
As an added note, there's a really great book out there you may benefit from--Creating Your Writer Platform by Writer Digest's Chuck Sambuchino. It's chock full of interview questions with authors/agents/editors and a whole section of case studies about how some authors are managing it. There's also Rise of the Machines by Kristen Lamb, who has an excellent blog on these matters.

It's a place to start! :)

Yellow

Minstrel
I think it's a bit strange to promote a book that hasn't come out. And, at least if I were doing it, i'd definitley feel like my priorities are messed up. After all, I write because I want to tell the stories I imagine in the highest quality I can achieve, not to sell a book or make a million bucks. It would feel like a painter spending more time decorating his gallery than...you know... painting.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong. There's nothing I hate more than bloggers (and posters) who are trying to exploit the writing community rather than engage with it and be part of it.

Therefore, my blog (mostly) does nothing to advertise my novels - with the exception of including links to them. I am not on twitter and have only a limited presence on facebook.

Is this why I have sold far more hard copy books than ebooks?

Everyone says you've got to do your own marketing, and I do try to do all the book stores etc, but I just can't do network marketing with other writers. I feel exploited when others try it on me and would rather gnaw my own arms off than try it on others.

Have I got this badly wrong?

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Clearly I'm doing something wrong. There's nothing I hate more than bloggers (and posters) who are trying to exploit the writing community rather than engage with it and be part of it.

This is one of those "What the Crap?!?" statements. I read nothing since your last post that in any way, imo, advocated "trying to exploit the writing community."

I just can't do network marketing with other writers.

I've found a lot of authors who are quite friendly and nice. They will go out of their way to help a fellow writer. The way I see it, the whole purpose of having a community is to help each other.

I use my "platform" (to the extent that you can call what I have such a thing) to help others and feel no compunction whatsoever about asking others for help. If you believe in your book, why not ask others to take a look at it and, if they like it, spread the word?

It's hard to get noticed out there. If I can help someone who has produced something that I like expand their audience, I'll do it in a heartbeat.

I don't think you should do anything you feel uncomfortable doing. However, you seem to look at this issue from an extremely different viewpoint than most of us do.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team

Therefore, my blog (mostly) does nothing to advertise my novels - with the exception of including links to them. I am not on twitter and have only a limited presence on facebook.

Is this why I have sold far more hard copy books than ebooks?

Everyone says you've got to do your own marketing, and I do try to do all the book stores etc, but I just can't do network marketing with other writers. I feel exploited when others try it on me and would rather gnaw my own arms off than try it on others.

Right, I haven't even finished a book and not done any marketing, so I'll ramble a bit based on gut instinct.

I do believe you've got to do your own marketing so that part's probably right. I also think that for the online, social networking, kind of marketing that there's a lot of talking about you need the right approach to it. You'll need to enjoy doing it in order to get it right or it will just get annoying and awkward.
If you're not comfortable with the social networking thing it will probably shine through in the way you do it and it's something potential readers will pick up on. I get the impression you're doing pretty well anyway though, so you're clearly doing something right.
Better focus your energy on doing what you're good at than trying to jump on to some fad because marketing researcher think it will make you reach X more potential readers.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to appear critical of anyone here. I just get so depressed with the apparent need to network in order to sell books. Especially as I don't really have time.

Coming onto a forum like this (and I've been coming for a while and contributed quite a lot) can be a two edged sword - I am nearly always suspicious of new members because sometimes they are very obviously here to sell. That's just my personality though (professional hazard for a lawyer I suppose).

I come here because I enjoy talking to other writers, even though I'm not really a fantasy writer (kinda verge on it at times). When I read people talking in exquisite detail about online networking techniques to sell books I can't help but wonder whether I'm being finessed right there and then.

Just ignore me...I'll get over it.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I got the impression you're doing comparatively well though. You've got actual physical books published, they're selling and people are taking an interest. You're clearly doing something right - something that works for you, like having an actual finished book (or three).

;)

I know a lot of people don't have the time to market their books, or even think about doing a blog. For me, I find it helps me continue to write when I can't stay in my own world any longer. I find it fun to engage with other writers and readers on places like GoodReads and Twitter. I've met some amazing writers who have self-published (something I'm going to do with my first novel,) one of them has just had their book series optioned to be a major motion picture. And some people say that self-publishing is useless. :rolleyes:

I'm happy attracting what attention I can to my books. If I can, I'll try and get new followers every day on Twitter, be they writers, authors, or readers. It doesn't matter to me, the people I meet are always supportive and I've met a few beta readers on Twitter.

So yeah, finding an audience before publishing can be a massive advantage. But you'll see it grow more, once you're finally published.

ALB2012

Maester
Building contacts before you publish isn't a bad idea, although building an audience before you write seems odd. I don't know about anyone else here but I can't write to demand. If someone asked me to write a sci fi I could, but it would be pants. I see it every so often - someone asks what sells and what should they write? Well write what you like, and what you're good at. Will it sell? Who knows. Will any book sell.

im most of the way through my first book, and this is what I'm going to do.

start a blogger titled "the library of (insert name of library and where it is in my created universe): stories". then, as i create history, flora, and fauna for my 'verse, i'll add articles describing a variety of the interesting tid bits of my world. basically a wikia for a world no one knows exists yet. i won't advertise for it until there is substantial content, but ill want to keep a steady flow of new content, so if someone reads it and likes what they see, there will be something new every time they check in.

on that blog, ill advertise for my book; give updates on where i am in the writing/editing process, and of course announce when it is available. hopefully by then i will have accumulated a handful of interested readers.

its tough on fantasy fiction writers. i read a book recently called "creating your own platform", and it was a great read... but fantasy fiction was left almost entirely out, because its almost impossible to use a blog to "prove yourself as a professional" in a field... of what? fictional ancient history?

i think an informational blog, allowing interested readers a chance to "get into" your world, is opening the field you're playing on, before your book is actually out.

thats the best I've been able to come up with, and I'm struggling with the same thing. my book is only most of the way written, but the time to start building a platform is now. just takes a little creativity i think. :D

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
im most of the way through my first book, and this is what I'm going to do.

start a blogger titled "the library of (insert name of library and where it is in my created universe): stories". then, as i create history, flora, and fauna for my 'verse, i'll add articles describing a variety of the interesting tid bits of my world. basically a wikia for a world no one knows exists yet.

I think this is the best way to do it. In my view, a writers' blog should be aimed at readers (or potential readers) of the books first and foremost, and not at other writers (although they're likely to read it too).

This is exactly what I'm doing. I'm posting chapters of the first book, plus background about the world, character profiles, etc, ahead of self-publishing in the autumn (probably). It doesn't take much work, and it provides a focal point for the books.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I really like the idea of doing that. Posting chapters or information about your world or story. However, I always notice when I post stories and the like on my blog, I don't get as many hits. When I post writing advice, a review, or interview, people tend to check that stuff out more. So I'm curious as to where you find the "reader" hits instead of the "writer" hits. I obviously would like either, but I would hope if I'm putting up samples of my writing and such, people aren't just scanning over it. That's one reason I rarely post stories or anything on my blog (even though I would like to). If I can figure out how to get more attention on those sort of things, I would do it more often.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
basically a wikia for a world no one knows exists yet. i won't advertise for it until there is substantial content, but ill want to keep a steady flow of new content, so if someone reads it and likes what they see, there will be something new every time they check in.

I'm doing (did) this and it was great fun. Unfortunately, work on the novel took over as a main priority and it's been ages since I added an article to my wiki. I get ideas now and then for things to add, but it's usually when I'm working on something else and I have to put it off until later and then I have other things I'd rather do instead.
If you want to have a look at an example of how it's working out - check the link in my signature and browse around a bit.

Edit: it's also a pretty cool feeling to be able to say: "I wrote an article about that for my setting, check it out" when something on a related topic is being discussed. :)

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
I really like the idea of doing that. Posting chapters or information about your world or story. However, I always notice when I post stories and the like on my blog, I don't get as many hits. When I post writing advice, a review, or interview, people tend to check that stuff out more. So I'm curious as to where you find the "reader" hits instead of the "writer" hits.

I can't answer that. I can only tell you that I, personally, am sick and tired of yet another wannabe author waffling about show-don't-tell and the like (although if said wannabe author manages to make even that subject entertaining, that's a great advert for the book). What I enjoy is hearing how the book is coming along and finding out about the world behind it. So that's what I put on my writing blog.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I can't answer that. I can only tell you that I, personally, am sick and tired of yet another wannabe author waffling about show-don't-tell and the like (although if said wannabe author manages to make even that subject entertaining, that's a great advert for the book). What I enjoy is hearing how the book is coming along and finding out about the world behind it. So that's what I put on my writing blog.

I like to see that also, but I guess I like to see all kinds of things on a blog if the writer is entertaining. That's how I got interested in Chuck Wendig was his writing advice blog posts. I don't typically mind writing advice since I am a writer, but at the same time I probably don't need to hear every single person's view on the same topics. Again, if they bring a new light to the topic, I'm all for it. That said, I tend to talk about productivity or fantasy-related topics not on actual craft. What works for me and not what I think should work for everyone.

I do hear lots of people say to aim your blog at readers, not writers, but many writers are readers also. So even if you focus on writing topics, I think it's possible to engage people. I'd like to experiment with info about my novel and see the reaction it gets though, because I like the idea of doing that.

I have noticed my "word count" posts tend to get lots of positive feedback. I guess people are happy with my progress or showing support.

Last edited: