• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to control telepathy between two characters

In my novel, the protag and another main character fall in love and discover they can communicate telepathically. Given that she is destined to marry another man, this could be problematic when she is actually married. There will be times when it would be painful for them both and unfair to the integrity of her marriage to continue their relationship telepathically. Yet, it is necessary to the plot to keep the ability to do so. Looking for ideas on how they can control this magic between them?

Maybe there is some key moment or reason when the telepathy connects. I know it's an old like "hey let's make an
Overarching force" or something that has its own will but it's an idea, or make it something where the only time it connects is when they are both thinking about each other at the same time etc, does any of that make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NaNoWriMo WIP!

Here's some ideas.

Maybe they're *able* to do so but can *choose* not to...to make this more interesting, maybe it puts some kind of strain on them not to...

Maybe the telepathy only works under certain circumstances, like if they are close in proximity.

Maybe it's possible for her to wear some sort of garment or amulet or something that blocks the telepathy? She can take it off if she had to, but her husband makes her wear it. It could add an extra dimension of conflict if he didn't know why she was blocking him out, or why he couldn't hear her anymore...something like that.

Maybe as she spends time away from him, their telepathic connection becomes weaker and spottier. She has to try hard to contact him at all.

What are the rules of your world and magic like? What are the limitations of this magic? That will help lead you to a solution.

Telepathy

Maybe there is some key moment or reason when the telepathy connects. I know it's an old like "hey let's make an
Overarching force" or something that has its own will but it's an idea, or make it something where the only time it connects is when they are both thinking about each other at the same time etc, does any of that make sense?

NaNoWriMo WIP!

Thanks, Thomas. Yes, that makes sense. I was working along the same idea, and Silas does tell her at one point that if they really need each other, they will know. But, there will be times when they will be thinking of each other that it would be a bad idea to communicate. There needs to be a way to sort of shut it off. I'm with you though on the premise of shared thought. .

All terrific suggestions and possibilities. Going to the rules of the magic of the world is an excellent way to figure it out. Your thought that the telepathy might weaken when they are apart is important as they will be torn apart in book two! There is a critical moment in that book when the telepathy works, but both are uncertain as to how. I'll keep working on the ideas you suggest and the magic. Thank you so much. By the way, I love your quote:)

I like the idea of the amulet!!!! That was spectacular but maybe past that it deals with
Thought?

NaNoWriMo WIP!

K.S. Crooks

Maester
First distance usually is effective with stopping telepathy. They could be able to turn it on and off, like opening and closing their eyes. Perhaps the telepathy only works for a certain period of time after they have touched. It could be the link is only established when they are thinking of each other at the same time. Perhaps use the inner turmoil of the characters feeling a deep connection to someone, while they are married to someone else.

Twinss Risen

Dreamer
Hello Heidi.
I actually really like some of the suggestions you received here, but I'd like to contribute as well. :p

I had recently watched this movie that dealt with telepathy (it was actually a romance genre). The movie was called In Your Eyes (you can find it on google and such). There were many moments in the movie that made me cringe, because the people who could do telepathy... well, they had to talk out loud for the other person to hear them, but even if it's only thoughts, their reactions will always be apparent to others.
Imagine if you could telepathically talk with your friend, and your friend suddenly tells you something funny. Won't you laugh out loud? What would happen if you were in a restaurant, or somewhere public, on your own? That would be a sight to watch! :D

I assume you're not going for comedy, but even if the guy says something emotional to the girl, the girl could tear up and whatnot... I do not know if you have calculated all these things to your story. Telepathy is a nice subject as you can play around with it, if you are creative (and of course you are; since you're a writer ;) ).

Have the characters met in real life? You said they will be torn apart in the second book, so I assume they're together (or have met, anyway) in book one? Maybe an item that they exchanged could be the cause of their telepathy?
In the movie I mentioned before, the cause of the telepathy was a head trauma that the girl had.. and actually, the movie had a few holes, so you can simply watch it as an idea. (be prepared to cringe though :p)

I believe that, since telepathy is basically two people being connected spiritually (mentally/intellectually etc), you could choose a physical connection that could cause the telepathy; something they have in common, or as I said before, an item they exchanged in order to feel close to each other, to feel "connected".
Well, this item could have been manufactured by this great wizard and such and such, but they would not be aware of it, but maybe this is the third book of your story haha :D In all honesty though, if the cause of their telepathy was an item, what would happen if the item was lost or stolen or broken?

Or! Maybe telepathy occurs when the characters are very emotionally "charged"?
Maybe when they are too depressed or too happy, or any kind of emotion?
Just an idea. :)