• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Shamans, druids etc.

Classic or original names?

• Classic (Shaman, druid, etc.)

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Original (new, made-up names)

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Thoras

Minstrel
Greetings!

I'm currently working on a magic system and thinking of what to call some of the magic users, as for now there is a supposed to be a person which can communicate with spirits and control animals. In my head I name this magic user "Shaman" as it is something I relate to this. Of course that isn't going to be accurate with what a real life shaman was, nor any sort of gaming character called a shaman - it would be my take on it.

However I'm curious what other readers/writers would rather see in a book, that such a magic user would be called a shaman, a word everyone has heard and relate differently too - or if there should be a completely new, made up word to describe them?

I'm feeling as if I were to call them a shaman, people just think it is tacky and unoriginal, but in the same time it would be easier for the reader to grasp the concept of what this person is.

What are your thoughts?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I know someone who describes themselves as a Tech-Shaman, so go figure. I don't often see it spelt with an "r", I'm more used to "shaman".
I might be tempted to call them something like a "Whisperer" as a shaman [for me] has more contact with the spirit world rather than just the psyche of animals. That said I don't know the tone or style of your story so I don't know what would work best, or if there is another alternative.

I like both naming styles. Using terms like shaman and druid makes it clear for the readers what the type of magic/spiritual occupation is from the get-go. But if you want to use new names then maybe take a look at the culture? Or even language?

Laurence

Inkling
I know someone who describes themselves as a Tech-Shaman, so go figure. I don't often see it spelt with an "r", I'm more used to "shaman".
I might be tempted to call them something like a "Whisperer" as a shaman [for me] has more contact with the spirit world rather than just the psyche of animals. That said I don't know the tone or style of your story so I don't know what would work best, or if there is another alternative.

I like whisperer. In this vain, if you don’t want to use an existing term then perhaps choosing a name that quite literally describes them is best, eg. Communicator, Talker, Crosser etc