• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Oaths/Curses Etc Help

johnsonjoshuak

Troubadour
So I'm trying to build religion with a single diety based on the concept of a blacksmith who "Built" the world. So I'm trying to come up with oaths, swearing/Curses, benedictions etc for the people.

I have a short list so far to give you an idea what I'm working with.

Reverent
"You've been purified in the flames of the Forge."
"Forged in the All-Father's fire. "
Swear on the (All-Father's) forge
Tempered by the All-Father's fire.

Wedding Benedictions
"Let these two be welded by the All-Father's fire

Blasphemous

Profane/Curse

Obscene

Shock/Exasperation
Father's Fire!

arbiter117

Minstrel
I suppose words related to impurity of metal would be curses. "You coke!" "I've seen ore purer than you!" "Slag!"

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

johnsonjoshuak

Troubadour
Damn brits! lol Or I could use it similarly to the way that it's used in the UK. Maybe tie it in to the concept of the deity being a blacksmith.

Gryphos

Auror
Damn brits! lol Or I could use it similarly to the way that it's used in the UK. Maybe tie it in to the concept of the deity being a blacksmith.

There are two main uses of the word 'slag'. The first is a detogoratory and mysoginistic term for a promiscuous woman. The second is as a verb. To 'slag off' someone is to insult their reputation to others, usually behind their back. This one is used equally with regards to men and women.

arbiter117

Minstrel
A blacksmith isn't a jeweller so he might say someone has an iron heart (loyal, courageous) or they have a gold heart ( wimp, because gold is very soft.)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
There is a glossary of terms at anvilfire.com
anvilfire.com - FAQs about Blacksmithing and Metalworking
The site uses frames so I can't link directly; just find the Glossary button on the leftnav of the site. You should be able to grab a few ideas there.

BTW, I found that by doing a search on "blacksmith jargon" which trick ought to work for any trade.

Last edited: