• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Why Use a Pen Name?

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
In my views of life and the world, legal names are simply something chosen by other people and imposed on us whether we later grow to like it or not.

Some people are fortunate enough to be given a name that they love, others are indifferent to it and the situation gets complicated for some other people.

All my life I have struggled with my silly and complicated surnames, and I hate both of them. I was bullied, I was ridiculed thanks to them and definitely I do not want them anywhere near my author life and my completed novels.

I like Sheila alone because it's similar to my real, spiritual name, but the full legal name is just something that I am forced to use for paperwork and that's all.

My author name really resonates with me, with my soul and my heart, I chose it and I love it. This is the mark of a real name, a name that makes you feel good and happy and proud.

So yeah, it's not just about the author side of things.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We use a pen name not so much as a matter of pride (though there is that - we are very proud of our pen name and our parents enjoy it) but as a matter of privacy. My name is so unique that I am the only one with it on the English side of Facebook. We write some pretty controversial material - LGBTQ+, polyamory, sexual assault, etc. - and don't want someone at random to be able to find us with ease. I mean, it's possible, but it takes some effort.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
In a roundabout way, I was talking about this at the weekend with a friend who is a poet and has used a pen name for many years [30+]. It started when they found out there was a clause in their contract that forbids them to publish [under their own name] anything that would be likely to bring the company in to disrepute. They are a named author at the company so I can understand the need to keep things seperate. But how would you define "disrepute"? I don't like all my friend's poetry but I'd never call it disreputable...

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
In a roundabout way, I was talking about this at the weekend with a friend who is a poet and has used a pen name for many years [30+]. It started when they found out there was a clause in their contract that forbids them to publish [under their own name] anything that would be likely to bring the company in to disrepute. They are a named author at the company so I can understand the need to keep things seperate. But how would you define "disrepute"? I don't like all my friend's poetry but I'd never call it disreputable...
Usually with clauses like this most employers are thinking about erotica as a genre, followed up by things which might considered anti-government or anti-religion - or, for that matter, perhaps for those things, depending on context and the political environment. I remember a time not long ago when writing LGBTQ+ positive material could be grounds for termination.

Miles Lacey

Archmage
Wow! Some people don't get that you aren't what you write. If that was the case I would be a green dragon with purple wings and night vision.

Neo-Nazis aren't noted for their intellect. They disliked what I wrote so they accused me of being a paedophile. I got death threats as a result. My lawyer forced Google to shut down the offending website but it means I have to use a pen name for some of my non-fiction writing.

Ned Marcus

Maester
For me it's for fun, marketing, and because I'm not completely comfortable with my birth name.

I've had people verbally attack me because my birth name is the same as a famous murderer (who is older than me, a different nationality, and in prison) but some people can't separate reality from fiction. Also my birth name is very common, and it's impossible to get a domain name with it, and there are already five or six authors with the same name on Amazon—three of them in sci-fi/fantasy genres.

So choosing a pen name (Ned Marcus) seems the way to go for me, and I feel good about it.

Bandicoot

Dreamer
Do you use a pen name? If so, why? Is there a good reason not to use one?

I use one for two reasons:

1) It's kind of fun.

2) I like to separate my fantasy writing endeavors from my professional non-fiction writing.

What are your reasons?
I use a pen name for my fiction writing, because my day job is writing non-fiction. Makes life so much easier. I also need a different mindset when I write fiction (which is mostly fantasy) so I kind of cease being me and become my doppelganger.

J.W. Golan

Scribe
I use my own name when publishing - but only use my initials when publishing fiction, whereas I spell out my full name for non-fiction, to try to keep the two genres separate.

This name is very old, from the days of the domination of the brick and mortar bookstores, and in the SciFI and Fantasy section "Lowan" would have put us right in between McCaffrey and Lackey at eye level, so perfect shelf placement. Since things have changed we've stuck with the name out of nostalgia, plus its easy to remember.

I like this logic, eye level seems like a great place to be. As much as I love searching for books I hate kneeling and crawling on the floor.

ArelEndan

Scribe
I write fiction under Maris McKay, mostly because my real name is running a blog, publishing non-fiction, and writing professionally. I wanted to keep the two separate for marketing reasons. Especially because the target audience doesn't overlap much. The blog is about personal growth from a Christian perspective and my fiction is a little too steamy for the Christian market. That said, I do let people know about my pen name. It's not a big secret

Bandicoot

Dreamer
I've had a few stories published under a pen name. I opted for a pen name because like some of you I value my privacy. It's great to see that there are many others who use pen names, for whatever reason.

MeanMachine

Scribe
I'm considering using a pen name mainly because my legal name is in French, and I write in English, so there's a dissonance there. My last name in particular is not easily pronounceable in English. Plus, it gives me the option to use a more interesting pen-name.

Because privacy is intrinsically valuable and is easier to maintain than reobtain should you need it later.
Because you write in two genres and don’t want your readers to cross pollinate.
Because you write things that are socially unacceptable.
Because it’s fun.
Because your name is boring or ungoogleable.
Because you’re a political dissident or will experience political persecution for your writings.
Because you view your writings as representative of a larger idea that you wish others would adopt so you attempt to divorce it from yourself.

And so on.

I can understand the want for a pen name. Myself, I sorta fell into it, over the years I have had friends or people around that were into fantasy and magic books that the characters have the three names, a given, (the name your parents give) a taken name ( a name you make for yourself) and a true name, that is usually magical or has some greater purpose. I.E. the skullduggery pleasant series. So thinking it fun we all came up with "taken" names, some goofy, some legit. And when together, we honestly use our taken names and in our phones we are all listed under our takens. Thus I have gotten in the habit of using the taken name when writing. I also have a name as a SCA member, which I have found out through experience, depending on what name people know me by, I know what part of life I know them through. Lol.

Joieandlove

Acolyte
I use a pen name and used two of them for years. Also for personal reasons and to keep things to myself. I also do want my personal life coming into my writing and writing under a pen name helps me to focus on the story better.

I use my own name for everything despite working in several different genres.

My wife has some concerns with this, not least as there is a strong erotica element in all my work and she worries about the speculations of friends and family, but I have a very large network of friends and colleagues and see no reason why I shouldn't access that network to the best of my ability.