• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Which of your characters do you connect with the most?

JamesTFHS

Scribe
So i was sitting there thinking about what a few authors have said concerning this idea and was just wondering what do you people think. Which of your characters do you connect with the most or feel more of represents you?

I actually feel like my "villain" or antagonist is more of who i connect with. He keeps a lot of his anger deep down and uses it to fuel certain goals that he has. a lot of that comes from that i gave him a very similar past event that sort of happened to me.

Endymion

Troubadour
I connect the most with my protagonist. I gave him the same wonderful looks as mine, the same charming personality and the same flaws as I have :). He just is me in a magical world.

TWErvin2

Auror
As writers, the characters we create probably reflect a little of us or those we know (or maybe have even studied or read about). I don't really have any characters in my novels that really represent me.

I have asked 'what if' in my short stories and novels...if I were in this situation, what woud lI do? And then I shift to what would the character do?

I did design a short quiz and had a friend program it (for my website) that readers of my novels can take to determine what character in the novel they're most like. Usually the reader agrees, but sometimes they are surprised (at least those that have told me).

If you're interested in seeing what the quiz looks like/questions asked: What Character Are You? (in Flank Hawk)

ArielFingolfin

Troubadour
I feel like there's a little bit of me in all my characters, but then again that can be said of all people. Everyone has something that they can connect to in another person. But I'm not sure if I feel connected to one of my main characters more than the other (at least in the story I'm working on right now). One has a deep sense of justice, one is a loner and would rather be by himself than with people most of the time, one would do anything to protect her family, and one won't go down without a fight. I'm not sure who I feel more connected to.

Jabrosky

Banned
I probably connect to my heroine's male love interest the most, but not by very much. In all honesty I haven't developed him very much so far.

Yes, I think a little of each of us goes into our characters. In terms of connecting though I can relate to Carrik my protagonist. They say the first protag we write about is usually a reflection of ourselves, which is true for me. Like me he is a quiet introvert, who leaves leadership to others, can sometimes brood too much and questions his abilities. He is however braver, more serious, and better looking than me.

There is another character who I think I transferred my cynical, sardonic sense of humour to as well.

Many of my characters have connections to me, but none of them is me exactly. Tristan is the man I would like to be. Riyen, on the surface, is the opposite of me in many ways, but that is just because he reacts differently to the same insecurities. Mael is the part of me that struggles for control. Other characters are similar to friends of mine (or people who aren't friends of mine).

topazfire

Minstrel
When I started writing, it was from the viewpoint of my main female character (the main protagonist) so I certainly feel connected to her since she was the starting point for the whole plot. As other characters came into view, there are certain parts of them that I can relate to. It seems that every week there is a different one of my main characters that I am drawn to to write about because something has attracted me to their story at that moment.

Though I think I will always have the strongest connection to my MC, there are still days where I can't stand her (and neither can some of the other characters...).

Ophiucha

Auror
Hard to say. Certainly, by nature of them being my characters, all of them have something in common with me. I gave the main character of my NaNoWriMo an interest in palaeontology, and I made her a little on the chubby side, but personalty-wise we aren't very similar. She's more outspoken and kind than I am. In terms of emotional range and expression, I relate most to he-who-is-temporarily-named-Cori, who is a black, middle age man who is raising his dead lover's infant daughter and likes cars. None of which are traits I possess, as a white, 20yo woman with a lively husband, no kids, and who couldn't tell the difference between a Chevy and Volkswagen. But we've got the same sorts of scars and smiles.

There was a character in my old project who was basically dude!me, but in the four years it took me to write the novel, I left college when I realized the futility of it and fell in love, both of which can change a gal. By the time I settled on a final draft, he and I were very different people.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
@ Terry, that's a great idea. I'm taking your quiz right after I finish posting!

I relate to most of my characters. After all, I wrote them. Hopefully that means I wrote them well because many of them have my flaws, and for the ones that don't, they have the kinds of flaws I think most people will be able to relate to. However, if you like to read about White and Black characters fully aligned with one side or the other, my books are probably not for you. My characters are normal people who are usually deeply troubled. I don't write supermen. I always take that as my challenge: how to make normal people into heroes, even unlikely ones.