• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Name for an angel?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
The female lead of my WIP has a group of imaginary friends -- likenesses of Biblical characters that she weaves into tapestries, and believes that they move and communicate with her and each other. One of these characters is an angel, who goes unnamed in the Bible, but I'm starting to feel he should have a name for the purposes of this story, since calling him "the angel" for page after page will inevitably get boring. Naturally, the female lead would be the one to name him.

Looking at various angels' names throughout mythology, the majority seem to be in Hebrew (eg. Gabriel, Michael, Raphael), with the exception being the Latin name Lucifer. I can't say whether the female lead would be more familiar with Latin rather than Hebrew, even if she has lived in the belltower of an Anglican cathedral for the past six years; it seems a bit more likely that she'd go with a name that describes some aspect of him, regardless of what language it's in. He's depicted with a white robe, golden hair and wings and blue eyes. I was thinking perhaps a name that means "gold" or "golden" would suit, like Chrysanthos or Flavius (though I'm not sure about either of those names specifically -- they were just two of the names I found that were male).

Alternately, do you think he needs a name at all? I've seen other authors do that, most notably the late Brian Jacques in his Castaways of the Flying Dutchman books -- the angel who curses the Dutchman's captain and crew as well as giving ongoing aid to the two titular castaways is simply called "the angel" through all three books. Then again, Jacques' angel is not as close to the protagonists as my angel is to the female lead of my story -- after it first appearance, it only pops up every so often to give cryptic advice to the heroes via rhyming prophecies. My angel is on a much more intimate (emotionally, of course, not physically) level with the female lead, being a fabrication of her hands and mind, and someone she sees and converses with on a daily basis in the belltower. He does give advice, but as more of a personal friend than a distant guardian.

Shockley

Maester
Lucifer is a Latin rendering of the Hebrew word 'Heylel,' in reference to your early point. They translated it over, since it's a title (Light-Bringer, essentially). The only thing that might be a name given to the Devil in the Bible is 'Ha-Satan' (which is also a title; literally, 'the Opposer'). A good number of the Angelic names follow this process. Michael is 'That Which is Like El' (El being a common Semitic word signifying divinity), Gabriel 'The Strength of El,' Raphael 'The Health of El/El Heals,' etc.

The point I'm trying to get at is that most Angelic names are titles of sorts, some of them even bordering on puns. The existence of the titles has actually led to a complex cosmology. For instance, the Quranic figure of Malak-al-Maut (literally, the Angel of Death) is given the personal name of Azrael.

So my advice is to find some traditional Angelic name (Probably not Gabriel, Michael, Azrael or any of the big ones) and just roll with it, perhaps finding one that fits the meaning the character has in the story. Alternatively, construct a name that fits into the Angelic mold while being completely original (ending in El, for instance).

Also, as to what language she would know being in an Anglican bell tower. The early Anglicans were very insistent on the idea that the language of the church should remain Latin (William Tyndale had a strong enemy in Henry VIII). By the time of the Stuarts, however, that was replaced by a focus on English. So by the 1700s she'd probably be using English as her operative language.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I'm still trying to figure out what specific time period she lives in -- since this story is inspired by The Hunchback of Notre Dame, I wanted it to be set at around the same time, if not place (my story takes place in England rather than France). As to her language, another issue that complicates the matter is the fact that she is deaf; she can read lips, but she uses hand-signs rather than any form of vocalization. She might have been able to attend church in the fifteen years before her imprisonment in the tower, but while she's imprisoned, the deacon who keeps her there forbids her from leaving the tower even to attend a service. (Disobeying that rule is what kicks off the plot.)

Hi,

The Latin word for gold is Aurum which sounds almost like an angel sort of name. The Hebrew one is Zahab or Zahav which sort of sounds Russian.

But why not go with a nick name instead. Something obviously made up. It works well in movies where the lead is a child and I'm unclear how old your MC is and how long she's been locked away and seeing the angel. Mr. White perhaps, or Feathers.

Also found this link which may help:

Angelic Dictionary

Cheers, Greg.

PrincessaMiranda

Troubadour
Hi,

The Latin word for gold is Aurum which sounds almost like an angel sort of name. The Hebrew one is Zahab or Zahav which sort of sounds Russian.

I really like the name Aurum. She could also have a nickname like Ari or even Rum. The sign for rum could be as thought she is drinking. If you want something more serious, perhaps she names him after a long-gone family member whom she loves/wishes she knew.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Hmm...

There were a a lot of popes named 'Pious'.

Possibly your character could do something similiar: choose a latin word for 'friend' (Amicus) or 'helper' (Adiutor) or 'companion' (Socius). The angel choosing or using a name which suits her in particular.

Meyrrek

Dreamer
If you haven't settled on a name you could look at making adaptations of less 'famous' angels that are not in our main pool of general knowledge - such as Gabriel, Michael and Raphael.

For instance there is a favourite of mine Uriel which stands for God is my light, and an adaptation of that could simply be Urel.

Taro

Minstrel
If you haven't settled on a name you could look at making adaptations of less 'famous' angels that are not in our main pool of general knowledge - such as Gabriel, Michael and Raphael.

For instance there is a favourite of mine Uriel which stands for God is my light, and an adaptation of that could simply be Urel.

i like this idea of using already existing angels and slightly changing their names to suit your needs. i thought that Raeph and Gabriel and Micheal where actually quite well known.... maybe they are to just me then....

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I was considering the name Ariel, which means "lion of God", though I think it might be a bit confusing; the name itself is unisex, but it seems to be more often given to women than men. The only exception I can think of is the spirit Ariel from Shakespeare's The Tempest, which hasn't been written yet at the time my story is set. If that matters.

Shockley

Maester
The only exception I can think of is the spirit Ariel from Shakespeare's The Tempest, which hasn't been written yet at the time my story is set. If that matters.

Pulling on my expertise a bit on this to help you find the ideal timeframe.

The Church of England was established in 1534. The Tempest was written in 1610 but published later. So you've given yourself, at this point, a good stretch of time. That said, there are some events you will want to remember:

- Between 1536 and 1541 Henry VIII was in a state of near-war with religious institutions in England. Monasteries were being emptied, churches being burnt, relics being destroyed, etc. It seems unlikely, then, that your girl would go undiscovered during the early days of the church.
- Edward VI came to the throne in 1547 and died in 1553, the throne going to Jane Grey and, nine days later, to Queen Mary. Mary reverted the Anglican reformation and restored ties to Rome, and began to persecute Anglicans. This would continue until 1558, when Elizabeth came to the throne.

So, if you insist on having it where she exists in the tower before the writing of the Tempest, your best bet is between 1565 and 1600. Hope that helps your story.

I've always loved angelic names. One thing I came across in my research is that the "-el" ending is a suffix attached to most angel's names to "bind them" to God, supposedly after the fall, but Samael (Lucifer) still had that part of his name as well (unless it was applied retroactively).

There are a few without the "-el" ending, such as Sandalphon and Metatron, but adding "-el" to anything will make it sound angelic...Gregel or Gregiel for instance.