• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Author Marketing

srcroft

Minstrel
First I wanted to get peoples input on my site srcroft.com to see what you think of the design --still working on it. That's why I've been quiet heh.

Also wanted to see if anyone was interest in guest postings, or taking their best posts from their own blog to be placed on here and linked back to you. Also feel free to send me your blogs so I can add them to my blogroll, [email protected]

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I like the layout. It looks good. But there's nothing here that leads me towards buying your book. Do you have something ready that you're trying to promote?

I'm a little confused as to why I'm reading a definition for writing. And the three columns start at different heights - the middle is above the left, the left is above the right. It's a little weird.

Looking at the links on the left, I get that you're just getting started. But I would take them out and put them in a top menu or else next to your Archive list on the right. If you track the eye, I'm looking at that list and clicking on those links before I even see your blog post (not exaggerating, that's what I did). The top-left is prime eye-capturing space. Put a more important visual there, or else cut that column immediately so that I'm looking at your blog post right away. Also, I think the numbers look busy, and even "just starting, the Home link shouldn't lead to a Sample Page.

Nobody's going to share your writing blog on Linked In. I think you should replace it with RSS. I would also suggest taking out "Share by Email," but I guess that's more of a judgement call. If you list too many items you could actually discourage using any of them.

Good quote at the bottom, but my eye goes directly to the copyright information below it. I would make the quote much bigger and bolder, even if it goes into two lines. Can you move the copyright information below that grey banner?

((edit))

I'm also moving this to the Marketing forum.

srcroft

Minstrel
Yes its all relatively new. The definition is gone, it was a placeholder until i wrote an article. The offset of the sidebars is on purpose. Still a few things need to be adjusted and it will feel better. I agree with removing some of the share links, thanks.

This is the beginning of a market presence. Not selling anything yet, more like building framework.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I suck at graphics, etc. so I won't even comment on that. Overall, I liked the look, though.

I sent you an email asking about a guest blogger exchange and to be put on your blog roll.

Something to consider:

I don't really think blogs do all that much for you for marketing your books until you're established. My eventual plan is for brianwfoster.com to be a jumping off point, and my blog will be linked to it.

srcroft

Minstrel
I agree, but if you sudden;y have a new blog when you book comes out--that definitely hurts you. I'm not expecting it to do anything now except to maybe use some info I know to help.

Kim

Scribe
I like the look of the page.
But I think the blog-post is too long. Maybe it is just me, but the first thing I do is scroll down to see how much text I have to read. This was too long, so I didn't start reading at all. The texts on the other pages are less long and more attractive to read.

Maybe you can write longer post when you have some followers, but I don't think this is a good way to get people interested.

Hope this helps.

It looks fine to me. I love the color scheme. I would encourage you to keep at it, writing, adding posts, building your audience. All the web gurus say that's the way to do it, build the web presence before you put the book out. (I have little experience to say whether they're right or wrong though. I've been blogging for three years, and had a static site for my own stuff and giggles for seven years before that. Yet, I only just started the marketing-a-book road--and I actually had one someone tell me I "needed to start blogging and building your name!", just a week ago. (Why, yes, I gave him the 'are you kidding me?' stare ;)). Either way, I think you have a good start. Now just build on it. Good luck!

Last edited: