• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Timelines

I'm having trouble with my time line. I'm trying to create a story that spans from 1830-1929 then flash forward to 2007. How can I do this but while also staying true to the themes of these era's within this time frame? I will be telling my story through a few main character's and their ancestors. Any idea's on how I can do this?

Are these main characters going to be long lived? If they are then you can subtly change their views to change with the times you want to portray them.

If not and its a bloodline you're following, keep a common goal and try starting out the chapter with the correct date and character name and have them reference their ancestors. And study some novels published(if at all possible) or letters of this time for vernacular and social propriety. This way may allow for the most freedom.

For example a family that looks after a treasure could start out with
David Smith
August 1830

I could sense someone following me throughout the day. I could never catch a glimpse of them, but the weight of their eyes were a presence, both publicly and privately. Someone is after the ring, I just know it. I don't know why Father said to mind it and never let anyone know it existed. Foolish of me, then, to wear it to that dance, somebody must have recognised it. I shall send it to my son, Michael. Perhaps he will listen to his father where I have not mine.

Philip Smith
July 1929

I found some diaries buried in dust in the attic. They clearly belonged to my family, written for generations. They each describe the cursed ring we have been passing around like a dirty little secret for generations. Many of them feared their lives were in danger and a presence that followed them. Some even speculate that they inherited the lands quicker then nature allowed, that perhaps the family does not have a weak heart, but an enemy desperate for that which we hold. I say no more. I have survived the horrors of the war, and I will not allow my children to endure what I have had to. Tomorrow I am travelling to London, and there I will pass on the curse to some other poor soul. Those street urchins are resourceful and always surviving things that should kill them. Let them survive this. I and my children will have no more to do with this.

Okay perhaps not the most 'true' to the times but a good idea of what I mean

rockman

Acolyte
I would also put in several objects from those time periods. In the 1830s, there obviously were no cars around, so talk about traveling with horses. In 2007 many people drive hybrids, they also use cell phones. In the 1920s maybe mention a model T. Technology drastically changed during the time periods you mention, so people are able to tell what time period it is from the objects you mention.

Major events are good too. Just in the 1830s-1929, there are many events you could use. Westward expansion, civil war, transcontinental railroad, Spanish-American war, labor strikes, world war 1, and prohibition. There's also the several presidents in that time period you could mention. Do some research on major events happening at your intended time period. Once you have some ideas, have a character talk about them or mention how it was in the newspaper.