• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

12. Enid Blyton Discussion

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Number 12 is Enid Blyton. Another writer I'm not familiar with, I presume primarily because she wrote children's lit. Noddy is one of her most recognizable characters. She focused a lot on childrens' stories in which children accomplished things without adults' help.

Anyone know about Blyton?

Here's Noddy:

tumblr_lplj39QMnh1r1o0x7o1_400.jpg

And one of her books:
enid-blytons-the-book-of-brownies-21503943.jpg

rhd

Troubadour
I read a lot of her books as a kid, both the fantasy and the school stories, because her stuff was easily available. I was told over and over that I had bad taste but that didn't stop me, until I grew out of it of course.

Now I read The Faraway Tree set to my kid.

Last edited:

Butterfly

Auror
I read The Wishing Chair at some point in Primary, first book I ever read cover to cover. I also read one of the Secret Seven Books, can't remember which though. One of my elderly neighbours used to give me the older editions. I did quite enjoy them at the time, though I only ever read them once.

teacup

Auror
In primary the whole class read through The Faraway Tree series together. It was magical. We even watched the cartoon!
I still have The Magical Wishing Chair too, actually.
Other than those I've not read any more of hers, though I wasn't aware she did Noddy.

Chances are she was who got me into reading books in general, and probably fantasy too.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Man, I guess I was deprived as a child. The only books I read were like Bernstein Bears and Sesame Street. I probably didn't really start reading for enjoyment until I was 13 or 14 and started reading Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms stuff.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
That's true, but I'm not a big children's lit guy. I'm always willing to give something new a chance though. :)