• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A certain kind of warrior's guild

JBryden88

Troubadour
I'm looking for input.

In my extended world building (before I both prepare to rewrite my draft, and start on a new project that this question is based around), I've started to develop my southern desert empire culture.

So right now, what I've got is that this empire is probably one of, if not THE oldest empire still in existence in my world. It has seen others rise and fall, and helped play a role in the downfall of the largest before them.

They are also split into three different groups.

The Bahriim, which are a somewhat "warrior" based culture. They favor martial might makes right, they follow gods of war, and live dangerously close to the border of a raiding based culture. Women are not equal in this society, but nor are they treated like property - if anything they are "protected" since they bear children.

The Nakhiim are based around the pursuit of knowledge, though some of them have a keen eye on forbidden sorcery (that shouldn't exist according to most people, and they help perpetuate that story of magic no longer existing.) While most are just lore seekers, their society is more or less strict, and about obedience. Women are property - for both breeding and pleasure. (Literally, in this sect, single women are in danger of being forced to do bad things at any given time, but married women have more power.)

Also, there are the Arkul, the largest of the three. Merchant kings, politicians, the Empire himself. A breed between the other two in rights, and equality. Also more devious and corrupt then either.

Anyway. The guild in question.

Called the Swordhearths in the "common" tongue. They are a Bahriim based guild, and are very much like a society of mercenaries, guardians, and that sort of thing. However, it is a society. You are born into it in the olden days, and raised as a slave until you prove yourself. When you prove yourself, you're no longer a slave, you are a Swordhearth. They have much honor and prestige and glory. On the downside however, as of late, they have resorted to kidnapping children - usually baseborn bastards and the like - and enslaving them until they prove themselves worthy.

How does this sound for a guild, rather then just a straight up "honorable"

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
'End justifies the means'.

Are those 'born' to this guild in decline?

Do the leaders of this guild anticipate major hostilities of some sort in the not so distant future - requiring them to start doing serious recruiting *now*?

Also...Emperors can take a rather dim view of military organizations not sworn to them.

Phayes

Dreamer
I think that this guild works. I too deal with a guild that is ancient, and what I've come to realize, is that even the most prestigious and time-honored societies go through darker periods. It defines them.
My question is this:
How are they viewed by those who aren't born unto them? I know you say they have honor prestige and glory, but do young boys grow up pretending they are a Swordhearth? If this is the case then being kidnapped wouldn't be so bad? Maybe? I don't know, but I think you see where I'm headed. Great guild though, and this isn't criticism it's more discussion... because I am intrigued.

JBryden88

Troubadour
To answer ThinkerX, they are indeed in decline. Partially because times are a bit darker, the tasks are more risky, and those around them are ever more corrupt.

And the way the non Swordhearths would look at them... hm. Respect, awe, yet dread and fear. More of the latter the higher up you are on the social ladder - after all, nobody is going to hire the Swordhearths to murder peasants. (Swordhearths also refuse certain tasks that are distasteful.) Hire them protect a wealthy merchant? Sure. Hire them to lay waste to a whole noble house found to be embroiled in certain affairs? Yep.

I'd say the nobles would look at the Swordhearths as scary "savages" (because they are brutal) whereas the peasantry would probably look up to them moreso. (Like I said, they kidnap the baseborn. It's a very rare thing for them to kidnap from a well to do family, unless it's to prove a point to an enemy.)

Solomon Tan

Minstrel
I think it's a good idea.. Just use your imagination to do it. I think it's quite cool.

One thing to input.. If you want to 'upgrade' the kidnap part to be more humane(in a way), you can put it in a way that they take the orphans and homeless kids off the streets, give them a sword and learn how to defend themselves.. Of course, they gotta fight and survive till the very end before their graduation.. Making them savage fighters who shed no tears when slaying even his best friend. That's going to be some cool storytelling to go about.

Leif GS Notae

Closed Account
This could make a wonderful tale of a street urchin who finds himself after being kidnapped and making his way through the ranks. It can also lead to a terrible downfall if that same urchin is evil. You have many options here, for certain.

A few questions:
Is this guild an unofficial arm of the empire? Are they only called upon when they are needed? The scenario rings of "Being taken for granted", especially if they have to start taking people. Have they taken "donations" (aka: the fourteenth son of a minor noble lord who will never amount to anything)? That can help you expand the history too, if you'd like to go that route.

Sounds like you have something pretty good worked out, look forward to hearing more about it in the future!