• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A Memory of Light (Final Wheel of Time Book)

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
SPOILER HINT - WELL, MAYBE...

I have not read the series, nor do I intend to.

I did see this particular book on the shelves in my area's one and only new bookstore, and idly paged through it. I noticed something towards the end which despite my considerable ignorance, compelled me to ask:

'Is this really the last book?'

Thinker,

I just finished it Saturday. I'm not sure what revelation you're talking about. It seemed like a solid ending to me.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Not sure how much I can say in this thread without getting into trouble.

But, at the very end, it looks to me like the whole magic system changed, and a major character...was wrongly presumed dead.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Not sure how much I can say in this thread without getting into trouble.

But, at the very end, it looks to me like the whole magic system changed, and a major character...was wrongly presumed dead.

All that is true, but I felt it concluded the story with a sense of finality.

Kit

Maester
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!! IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK ALREADY, CLICK AWAY NOW!!!!!
Okay, housemate and I both finished the book yesterday. We were both confused by 2 thing near the end. Maybe someone else who has read it and caught something we missed can explain:

1)It didn't seem to be explained why- when Moridin stabbed his own hand- it seemed to injure Rand.

2)It didn't seem to be explained why that set of villagers that Mat sent to die in a hopeless fight reappeared a second time to do the same. I was thinking it had to do with the balefire that was being tossed around and which seemed to conveniently turn back time in a few instances... but it seemed like Mat orchestrated this on purpose somehow, and it wasn't just a random time-travel accident.

Can anyone offer explanations?

Ankari

Hero Breaker
OK, I'm halfway done with this book and I have to say, I'm not happy with what Sanderson has done with this book. Here are a few things I've noticed (everything is about the execution of the story, and nothing of the plot or story itself)

1) The characters have gone flat. Sanderson has skimmed all the novels Jordan wrote, extracted a few key descriptive sentences, and keeps cycling through them on each of the main characters.

2) The tension is deflated by whimsical humor. See, the thing about characters fighting in the Last Battle is that they are faced with a make a break, do or die, save the world contest. The thing about witnessing your doom is that you will not take a jab at the woman next to you because she is staring at you with hot irons. Use the proper language to set the tone!

3) The tension is deflated because of the set up. Here is how Sanderson sets up a scene:

"I'm tired. Soon, I won't be able to raise my arms to defend myself." Good Guy said to his friend.

The Trolloc (a bad guy) twisted, putting his full wait behind a huge ax. Good Guy barely raised his sword in time to deflect the blow, and grunted with the impact of the heavy weapon.

4) Everything is too convenient. Everything happens at exactly the right time (whether it's for the advantage of good, or evil). I saw everything coming from a mile away. If you need a glaring example, look to the Seanchan agreement with Rand (and Egwene).

5) I'm not a fan of Jordan's lengthy descriptions, but come on! Sanderson makes a stick figure look like a work of art.

I'm not happy with what Sanderson did with this story. I'm reading it because I have 21 years investing into this series. I have to see it through. I think Sanderson was picked because of his name, not because of his skill. Sanderson has always been an innovator (magic systems). Unfortunately, this series needed a high caliber writer who understands tone, character, and tension.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!! IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK ALREADY, CLICK AWAY NOW!!!!!
Okay, housemate and I both finished the book yesterday. We were both confused by 2 thing near the end. Maybe someone else who has read it and caught something we missed can explain:

1)It didn't seem to be explained why- when Moridin stabbed his own hand- it seemed to injure Rand.

2)It didn't seem to be explained why that set of villagers that Mat sent to die in a hopeless fight reappeared a second time to do the same. I was thinking it had to do with the balefire that was being tossed around and which seemed to conveniently turn back time in a few instances... but it seemed like Mat orchestrated this on purpose somehow, and it wasn't just a random time-travel accident.

Can anyone offer explanations?

The following is filled with spoilers so stop reading here

1) This comes from the opposing balefire attacks in I think a Crown of Swords where Moridin shot true power balefire at Rand's One Power balefire creating a link of some kind.

2) These people come from I want to say the town of Hinderstap where the people were affected with a bubble of evil that makes them come back to life everyday no matter what and they reappear in their home town, which is in Murandy. This town was first introduced in The Gathering Storm Chapters 27-28

Last edited:
Reactions: Kit

Randy

Dreamer
Interesting. I didn't know people criticized the first three books. IMO the first four books were the best.

I felt the first four books were the best, as far as I read. I quit at about book eight. I felt like the story was really starting to just drag on forever. I hope at some point in time I go back and finish the series though. Even when I was getting bored by book eight I still enjoyed it. (I know that sounds impossible)

I just finished the final book so I haven't had much time to digest it or to process my thoughts on it, but here goes.

I am not too proud to admit that I cried once or twice as I saw what happened to the characters. You followed them for so many years that it truly feels like a loss when they go.

And yet, it also felt a little wrong. Mostly, it's my own taste I will admit. The series has always stressed how time is cyclical in this world and that everything that has happened will happen again, and that doesn't sit right with me. What is supposed to be a triumph feels instead like a condemnation. People are doomed to make the same mistakes, over and over again. They will never learn, can never learn, because that would break the cycle.

The entire book is an ending of a series, yet the ending of the book itself was a little rushed for my taste. I could do with a few more pages, a little glimpse of what happens to them all. I could use an epilogue, but the epilogue we get feels more like the last chapter.

I do not regret all the hours and days I spent reading this series, but at the moment, I find myself shying away from the idea of reading them again.

Eagle

Scribe
My main problem with AMOL was the epilogue. After 14 books (15 if you include the prequel) I expected a kind of overview of what happened to each character after the climax. But no. There was the climax, and then it just ended. With no explanation of what happened for them next. After a series as long as this one, I did feel quite cheated.

Also, Moiraine. She was so underused it was criminal. Other than these points though, I loved it.

Moiraine was underused, and teasing us with a meeting between Arthur Hawkwing and the Seanchan Empress and not giving it was a real disappointment as well.

Even now, I can't say that I loved it. The series is done, but I'm not sure I'm happy about it.

acapes

Sage
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I thought it better to do so, rather than start a new thread on an old topic, but I'd love some advice if you can help out a new guy?

So, I read the Wheel of Time up to about book 9 as they were released and I LOVE the first 3 or 4 but I lost some passion for the storylines around book 6 (no Matt at all in that one I think?) and now find myself unwilling (due to time) to reread everything before getting to the new books. Thoughts on the following possible options?

1. Reread everything (timewise, this would kill me I think)
2. Jump in from the Sanderson titles
3. Read summaries of books 9,10 etc etc then read from Sanderson titles
4. Summaries of everything up to A Memory..., then read Memory itself.

How hideously reduced will my experience of the ending to the series be if I took choices 3 or 4? Anyone done something similar to 2? Should I simply bite the bullet and kick things off from 1? :)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
@acapes: I got so bored with the series I gave up, I don't even remember where. It simply wasn't worth finishing, to me. AFAIAC, read whatever you feel like reading and you won't miss much.

acapes

Sage
@acapes: I got so bored with the series I gave up, I don't even remember where. It simply wasn't worth finishing, to me. AFAIAC, read whatever you feel like reading and you won't miss much.

Thanks! There is a fair bit of repetition across the series, huh? Must be a big ask to maintain any sense of freshness across that many books. I'd never try taking on a ten+ book series - not game :D