• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A Political Question

Creed

Sage
This might he better under research, but… A few key points:
-I have four countries on one side of a war (Godsland).
-They are all very pious.*
-The Church has a lot of power, and generally has the final say.*
-The Church's power is centred at Castra Morin, the capital of Godsland
So I'd like to have an international political angle (as I have one within the Church already) showing a rift between Church and State. Here's my question:
What would be the terms given to members of the State representing their countries at Castra Morin, and what term/title would be given to the representative of the Church at every country's capital?*

I'm making further intrigue by taking away the countries' power away from them, including the choosing of a Cleric General by the Church who will lead the grand host. That's the main device, but I need to know the representative titles before I can go too much farther in.
Keep in mind that this is in a kind of Middle-Eastern setting, but titles from any culture would help.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
The Catholic Church attempted to rule that way in the middle ages. For a long time, the Church was a sort of 'UN' or 'arbiter between nations'. It didn't work very well. One of the Popes - I forget which one at the moment - declared his title ('pope') unique and his authority unchallengable. But what began as a reform movement went very very bad. A sort of text book case of absolute power corrupting absolutely.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
It's related to a game but if you are looking for real-world terms then this site might be of interest at least from the Xtian PoV...
Western-Style Religious Order Rank System
Metropolitan - A metropolitan bishop is an archbishop in charge of a metropolis.—In game usage this type of bishop would preside over major cities and towns, rather than large geographical areas.
Might suit..
From what little I know of Islam [and I deffer to those that know more] is that it is far less hierarchical in their religious structure. There are priest-teachers and religious scholars but far less in the way of Bishops and Archdeacons etc.
I don't know anything substantial about Zoroastrianism but I don't think they have a significant hierarchy either...

adampjr

Scribe
A metropolitan bishop presides over a major city and surrounding areas (its usually the leadership of a diocese), ie, my Metropolitan Bishop is of Dallas (the diocese of the south).

But metropolitan alone does not imply the diplomatic role, you'd probably need some combination word to indicate that, but metropolitan is a fun sounding word to have as a part of it, and it works if its to a major city.

Creed

Sage
Thank you very much, and I think these will be a definite help in finding a title!
On a side note in response, I've been doing quite a bit of research into Middle-Eastern traditions and their culture and I'm blending many aspects together with, of course, a heavy dose of my own innovations. I looked at the old Arabic naming system and it's very complicated, but interesting! I've made my own version to correspond with the basics of a new language, and social structures. Titles are something I have to work on, but I've simplified much of it into High Cleric, Cleric General, Cleric Knight, and Paladin to name a few. Those are the more prodigious members of society, besides the King/Kral/Shah and lessers like Caliphs.
As for the rest, I've added an undeniably Romanesque flavour to it in certain respects, but I think it's just a little glue that helps keep it all together nice and tidy.