• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A re-introduction

Incanus

Auror
Greetings Scribes!

It’s been quite a while since I participated at this site, so I thought I’d re-introduce myself here. Apologies for the length of this post, but I have a little story to tell.

It’s been a long and difficult journey, but I have finally arrived at my destination: I am tackling my major epic fantasy story that I first started working on about 12-13 years ago.

Back then, after a couple of years, I realized I didn’t have the skills to pull off this story. So, I joined this site and began work on my ‘practice novel’. It turned out to be fairly terrible, but I gave it my best shot. About 3 years ago, or so, I ended up really losing confidence that I could be a decent writer (due mainly to a short story project that should have been great, but that turned out poorly). I languished for a while, not getting anything done. I’ve lost count, but I believe I have about 8-10 abandoned novels over the years—not a great success rate.

But some opportunities came up for me to contribute to a couple of anthologies put together by a writer’s group I was sometimes involved with. So I whipped two stories into shape for that. Then a small group decided to enter the U.S.’s biggest sci-fi/fantasy short story contest, where we would workshop our stories before submitting.

While I didn’t win any of the top 3 spots, I did receive something called an ‘Honorable Mention’ – which, I later learned, means I placed somewhere in the top 2-8% or so. It means my story was rated higher than thousands of other entries, by some pros.

Well, that was a bit of a boost. It seems my skills had been improving over time, despite the setbacks. A short time later, I remembered my huge, abandoned project, and realized the time had come to get back to it. I brought out the old notes and maps and re-engaged with it all. I finally worked out a plot for it (something I didn’t have way back when) with help from my best writer-friend.

I’ve got a solid outline, a character arc to go with it, and a wealth of world-building material. So, this novel has a much better chance at becoming something than any of the previous ones. I am only about 22-23K words into it so far, but it is mostly going well.

So, since I am writing regularly again, I thought I’d hang out at Mythic Scribes too.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Welcome back, Incanus. It's great that you have some finished stories. That will carry you forward. The more you finish, the more momentum you'll have. Glad you have you around these parts.

I too was here for a while, left for a few years and just came back due to a resurgence of writing!
Welcome back and very cool, looking forward to hearing more about the progress!

Incanus

Auror
Thanks everyone! Appreciated. I look forward to interacting with the people here--it's a good site, all around.

And Gallio is a pretty cool screen name too! Thanks----