• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A religion of eyes

If you didn't have eyelids you would go permanently blind pretty soon.

I know, but as a sign of commitment and total worship? Or maybe not since they do go blind, it kinda defeats the whole purpose.

Or it could be a sacrifice, they remove the eyes, spend a few minutes staring at an eye and then get killed?

If you didn't have eyelids you would go permanently blind pretty soon.

But this is a fantasy world! :D

Actually they could have Holy Eye Drops of the Blessed that they could use constantly.

Or maybe they've also developed a symbiotic relationship with some kind of slug that lives on their foreheads and constantly drains protective fluids down into the eye.

I'd be more worried about blowing sand and so forth. Not sure how to prevent against debris but...fantasy. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Actually they could have Holy Eye Drops of the Blessed that they could use constantly.

Or maybe they've also developed a symbiotic relationship with some kind of slug that lives on their foreheads and constantly drains protective fluids down into the eye.

I'd be more worried about blowing sand and so forth. Not sure how to prevent against debris but...fantasy. Where there's a will, there's a way.

That's what I figure! It's fantasy!

I thought about eye drops, but you can't use those while sleeping. And you can't never sleep. Lack of sleep will kill you.

I have an idea! What about they go into a sleeplike trance in which their eyes are open, but their need for sleep is fulfilled?

I thought about eye drops, but you can't use those while sleeping. And you can't never sleep. Lack of sleep will kill you.

I have an idea! What about they go into a sleeplike trance in which their eyes are open, but their need for sleep is fulfilled?

That could work. Say is it a magic trance?

Maybe they live together but take turns sleeping, with someone awake to put drops in the eyes of those sleeping. Or maybe that's the job of acolytes.

WooHooMan

Auror
Maybe the people could interpret the eyes as belonging to one being - a god - who is deaf? Their culture than developed an interest for visual arts above things like music as that was what worship was built around? Think about how important writing/reading is in cultures where the dominant religion is characterized by a holy text.
I can of imagine temples, when seen from above, can be these really weird glyph-like shapes. Religious architecture is designed to look cool when seen from above.

Maybe their rhetoric - their language - is almost entirely built on nonverbal communication like hand gestures and facial expressions?
Then maybe there is some kind of story about how the god lost its hearing, maybe as some kind of sacrifice for humanity so people are morally obligated to worship this being to honor its sacrifice? Because its kind of dumb for people to start worshiping something when it does nothing to earn that worship. People in the past have worshiped fire and the sun, sure, but those things actually do things for people like provide light and warmth.
Maybe some people see the god's duty of watching everyone all the time as some kind of burden? So humans should enjoy that they have the luxury to close their eyes or fall asleep?

Or not.

Honestly, knowing that this thing is supposed to be farcical (but not funny) kind of discourages me from really examining this or coming-up with ideas around it. Like, why bother trying to develop it beyond its initial, silly premise?

Creed

Sage
I like the idea of nonverbal modes of communication and open-ceiling architecture. I imagine this culture would have a very interesting worldview/philosophy, with an emphasis on either an objective reality or, conversely, seeing as believing.

I also imagine high priests might be decked out like Jack Sparrow :D
7c5de861063cbea69ffdfb4ac75b607d.jpg

Lol that actually seems to be a good idea! Like maybe all of their body is completely covered with tattoos of never closing eyes?