• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A Soulsian World Building

Gurkhal

Auror
This is a rough outline and concept, but I thought that I would share it.

Having starting to properly immerse myself into the lore of the Dark Souls universe I decided to think a little how that could be combined with ancient mythologies and some other sources of inspiration could be made to create a setting for my writing. Its not written in-character or as a proper narrative as that would make the text to long and I'd like people to be able to actually read it.

The setting is supposed to be fairly dystopian and morally dark grey, just in case that is or isn't your choice of fantasy.

The Ageless Continuity

Before time the worlds were one, an unliving whole of stone and mist, with eternal creatures of stone flesh and unlife moving through it. There was no beginning and no end. Only endless continuity.

The Fires of Change

Then the fires broke out and with it brought states of existance. Hot and cold, life and death, light and dark, now and then. And from the darkness a creature came, drawn by the sensation of light and warmth, to be embraced by the flames. Its stone flesh cracked and its essence became fuel that the flames consumed to burn even brighter. And through this the creature became one with the fires and the first Keeper.

Rise of the Great Tyrant

Transformed and ablaze with power the Great Tyrant rose from the flames. With his burning powers he challenged the masters of the world and brought them low, gargantuan unliving beings of stone whose shattered forms were scattered across the lands. The mist turned to water that formed rivers, lakes, seas and more as the one continious world divided itself it many worlds. And from the unliving stone creatures beings of and life and flesh descended.

And above it all towered the Great Tyrant who shaped the worlds for his benefit.

Age of Tyranny

The harsh, burdensome and ever harder oppression and misrule of the Great Tyrant was a long age of suffering for almost everything that lived. There were many degrees of suffering and many states of slavery but only one free creature, the Great Tyrant who ruled from his Palace of Power. There won't be details but finally two champions arose to challenge the Great Tyrant.

Fall of the Great Tyrant

Two favored sons of the Great Tyrant finally rose against him and assailed him along with many of their siblings and slaves who dared destruction in pursuit of freedom. The fought the Tyrant, those who enjoyed the state of things or were to scared to envision a breaking of their chains. The battle was fierce with many fallen on both sides before finally the Tyrant was slain by his two sons, which saw his many loyal servants and slaves flee as far as they could. One of the field of victory the two sons found the source of the Great Tyrant's power. The Heart of the Flame for which the Great Tyrant had been its Keeper.

Age of Strife

As night follows day the two sons fell on each other for they were their father's sons. Before finally the youngest of them struck his elder low and claimed the Heart of the Flame. He rewarded his favored loyalists with the great spoils of victory and hunted down and enslaved or killed as many of his enemies as he could find. Many of them were put to work in upholding the workings of the cosmos, while others were divided as spoils and slaves to the victorious allies of the younger son. And this victorious son became the second Keeper.

Age of Dawn

And so the world as we know it was created. The Palace of Power was stripped of what secrets the victor could find, sealed and guardians set to ensure no one would enter it again, before it was buried and forgotten, deep within the City of Gods that was erected as the centre of the cosmos, right ontop of the Fires of Change that fuelled the powers of the gods, as the victorious siblings and great allies of the keeper of the Heart of the Flame, called themselves.

Age of Light

The history of the worlds as humans and others knew it was the the Age of Light.

To be just, the Second Keeper tried to rule better than his father but oppression was all he had ever known and he was his father's son. Yet the selfish misrule was far lighter on existance.

Age of Dusk

But then the fires started to fade. The gods tried uncounted attemtps, schemes and tries to keep it strong but while much had short term success it was clear that nothing they did was enough for a real solution.

A wise sage said to the Keeper that if he would give himself as fuel to the flame and be consumed by it, it would burn bright again for a new age. The Keeper counseled with the sage and once it was clear the sage was right and the Keeper knew who else knew of it, he killed the sage and hunted down anhd slew anyone who knew of this solution. Then as the fire kept fading the Keeper shut himself in his palace, and brooded.

Age of the Endless Dark

And if the Fires of Change goes out then it will be the end of it and there will come a new continuity of endless darkness, coldness and death of all life. Mayhaps unliving creatures from before the fire will still exist, maybe some new form of unlife will make it, or maybe the worlds will become nothing but a catacomb. Dark, silent and still for all eternity.

Gurkhal

Auror
Sounds wonderful. How do I sign up to live there?
You can either take the next Misery Train or start to play the Dark Souls games. If you go for the second option you may also advance from being a Casual to become a proper Gamer. :D

Rexenm

Inkling
It sounds like a story told around a heart. If dark souls was a story, what would it sound like? I find it interesting that two sons teamed up, and then broke apart. And this eternal flame, it sounds like a weapon, not a boon. How about make one of the sons gay, and either possessing a sword, to wield against the black one, who is not a god. Gods are either right or wrong - they are not palpable.

roserosered

Acolyte
You nailed that mythical feel, and to be honest I like the touch of the most powerful entities are either tyrannical or more of a tad selfish from what I'm reading. A bit like Greek mythology where the deities by and large were not great people, it adds to the more cynical and broody feel I'm getting.😁

Gurkhal

Auror
You nailed that mythical feel, and to be honest I like the touch of the most powerful entities are either tyrannical or more of a tad selfish from what I'm reading. A bit like Greek mythology where the deities by and large were not great people, it adds to the more cynical and broody feel I'm getting.😁
Thank you!

You've pretty much nailed where I was going. In this summery I couldn't get into the details for the idea for interlocking cycles of abuse and vengeance but I think that I could make the point that gaining power does not provide wisdom or morality to use that power well.