• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A Tale of Two Basaltic Traps

Back home, the Mesozoic era ended with a comet slamming on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula.

In this scenario, what killed off the dinosaurs wasn't a space bomb, but two series of volcanic eruptions, one from Siberia and one from Antarctica. Each one released enough lava to fill in all 50 United States a mile deep.

With that in mind, what would 65 million years of environmental change accomplish? How different would the topographies of Siberia and Antarctica be today?

Back home, the Mesozoic era ended with a comet slamming on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula.

In this scenario, what killed off the dinosaurs wasn't a space bomb, but two series of volcanic eruptions, one from Siberia and one from Antarctica. Each one released enough lava to fill in all 50 United States a mile deep.

With that in mind, what would 65 million years of environmental change accomplish? How different would the topographies of Siberia and Antarctica be today?

I'm confused - are you aware that 65 million years ago the Deccan Traps - effectively covering nearly half of India - blew up in a massive and long-lasting volcanic event?

At 65 million years, a large change in the mass of the northern most northern hemisphere? By suspicion, I'd say depending on the distribution of lava over the mainland you could expect new corridors for wind travel that during certain times of year would change the climate of other global areas. That's a massive amount of lava too so either the ocean floor would rise changing wildlife habitats/evolution or if the water could stop the lava coastlines would increase, possibly the amount of ocean water would decrease (both). Winds from the north pole could be effected by the formation of mountain ranges initially but through 65 million years those ranges would likely devrease in size substantially like the Smokies or Appalachains. Then more regular climates to the previous era would resume. Man, that's a great question. So much more information than I would like to type from my mobile phone right now.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk