1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Advice for launching a 5-book series

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Danskin, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Danskin

Danskin Scribe

Hi all, I have a series of 5 short (35-50k) historical fantasy novels almost ready to launch. A few things are decided - I'm going to publish the independently, and go for a rapid release (probably 1 per 2-3 weeks) approach. Also, I don't have an active email list yet, so I can't use that for marketing. And I'm almost certainly going to start with Amazon KU, and hopefully 'go wide' a bit later on.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about the best way to handle other aspects of the marketing. For example...

- Should I get paid promotions for the first book, and then run adverts after that?
    - Should I make the first book cheap or free? Or start full price and then discount it periodically?
    - Should I just do more of a 'soft launch' for book 1, and then try to ramp up the marketing once more of the series is available?
    - Is an email list really important, and if so how best to build it? Should I even consider giving the first book away for free?

It would be great to hear if anyone has experience of promoting a similar type of series. Many thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

JFD

JGCully likes this.
  2. JGCully

JGCully Scribe

Should I get paid promotions for the first book, and then run adverts after that? = personally didn't see the benefit for paid promotions. It cost me with not that much pay back.

- Should I make the first book cheap or free? Or start full price and then discount it periodically? = not at first but I did find some success with using the Amazon option to run brief 'free ebook' days with the first book then people bought more of the series

- Should I just do more of a 'soft launch' for book 1, and then try to ramp up the marketing once more of the series is available? = personally I hope to do a hard launch for the re-release of my first book, then depending on reaction, do the series. I say go big first time round!

- Is an email list really important, and if so how best to build it? Should I even consider giving the first book away for free? = I would go for an email list, as it's the one thing I didn't get doing and I regret it. Maybe not send out the first book free just yet.

3. Danskin

Danskin Scribe

That’s very helpful, JGCullyJGCully ! I think you are right about going big at the start, and great tip about the free ebook days.

I’ll have to think about the list, I’m not sure I have time for a newsletter or to do much serious list building prior to launch, but perhaps over the long term I should let one build organically.

4. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

I would start a list by hooking up with Prolific Works, hand out sample or free books and you’ll get some sign-ups through them. Any paid promo (like bookbarbarian and the like) that’s going to be worth a hoot will require positive reviews of your book as you’d build for the granddaddy bookbub promo. If aiming for a Bookbub, it’s wise to note that they ignored me until I went “wide” and then I immediately got an international promo, and the US featured deal the next time I tried with 40+ reviews and a 4.3 average.

Goodreads Promo: Will get you into the hands of readers, it will also screw your also-boughts on Amazon. Buyer beware.
    Amazon Free: Will also screw with your also-boughts.

Also-boughts in general: You want them aligned with books in your genre to be most effective, Amazon’s email promos will slap your book in with books from your also-boughts.. Any sort of giveaway that Amazon counts as a sale can be harsh on this. KU readers will mess with it, but that’s pretty much inevitable if in KU. On the flip side, bad also-boughts is still probably better than NO also-boughts, LOL. And of course, Amazon might’ve changed its algorithm since I last launched, heh heh.