• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

alternatives to "demihuman" phrases.

I don't know anything about Warhammer 40k, so I'm not sure why it would matter. Is Xenos used as a slur or something in that?
Another reason why it might matter is if they have trademarked the term. I don't think they have in this instance, but in general you probably want to stay away from trademarked terms (within the realm of the trademark), unless you absolutely know what you're doing. Not knowing something exists is generally not an excuse in such a case. You don't want to get a letter from a big corporation that you're infringing on their trademark, combined with a demand to cease and desist and to pay whatever damages they percieve.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well, they cant trademark the term, only the logo, or the depiction of a xeno in their fiction.

Xenos is a Greek term, Warhammer doesn't own it. And it being a Greek term did not stop them from using it.

Which is to say, if the threat is something other, xeno is very likely a term that may be applied to it for the very reason stated, its Greek root word meaning.

Well, they cant trademark the term, only the logo, or the depiction of a xeno in their fiction.
Actually they can. Sort of. Just try selling a computer called an Apple, or candy called Mars. Apple is just a regular word, but Apple has trademarked it for all sorts of purposes, making it very hard to use it for anything company related.

In the same way it's possible to at least limit what people can do with other terms. It's why we have halflings in D&D instead of hobbits. And you'll probably run into Games Workshop if you write Space Fantasy featuring space marines. They could do the very same thing with Xenos, which would limit what you can do with the term. It's the whole purpose of trademarks.

Note: not a lawyer, just someone with an opinion. My main message is, just be careful.

ixris

Dreamer
Actually they can. Sort of. Just try selling a computer called an Apple, or candy called Mars. Apple is just a regular word, but Apple has trademarked it for all sorts of purposes, making it very hard to use it for anything company related.

In the same way it's possible to at least limit what people can do with other terms. It's why we have halflings in D&D instead of hobbits. And you'll probably run into Games Workshop if you write Space Fantasy featuring space marines. They could do the very same thing with Xenos, which would limit what you can do with the term. It's the whole purpose of trademarks.

Note: not a lawyer, just someone with an opinion. My main message is, just be careful.
It's unlikely in this context, though, since xenomorph (also often shortened to xenos) is common in several scifi settings, not least of which the Aliens fandom and the BBC series Hyperdrive.

In this context, it seems more like a generic term that is used in a highly specific context. It would be like if I had a chair monster and I called them Chairs, and then litigated the heck out of everyone who tried to mention chairs in their settings going forwards.

Xenomorph / Xenophobia are well understood terms outside of the 40k setting, and they predate the setting as well. Apples as a food predate apple computers, but Apple the company has registered itself as a legal entity.

Also not a lawyer, but I love copyright fights.