• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

An authenticity complaint

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Okay, I know it's not a fantasy book, but I just want to discuss something that's been weighing on my mind...

I read The Kite Runner last year and something about it really peeved me. I wonder whether others have the same complaint.

In the first half (this is gonna be a spoiler, so don't read on if you are gonna be upset), the setting was so authentic. The descriptions of the town, his house, the pomegranates staining their hands... it was captivating beyond most books I have read. I loved the richness of the setting, and the tone was wholly believable. I had absolutely no complaints and LOVED it.

But, the second half, just disappointed me more than I think I have words to describe. It was such a let-down, and I was furious. Where the beginning showed me a world that was alive, the second half was nothing more than picked-over bones left after months in the sun. It felt as though the author (I'm not sure of their real story) knew every intimate detail of a place and time that captivated me, but then just made up some cheap horrible tacky story tacked on the end for dramatic effect.

Where the half-brother was detailed so convincingly in the first half, he was nothing more than a body in the road in the second half, and though I read the book through to the end, I did so begrudgingly.

When I write, I like to put my own personal experiences in for the sake of authenticity, but try very hard to keep the tone level through to the end, and I think this book fell way short. It was disillusioning in such a way, that I felt like a great rift was formed between the first and second halves, and I'm almost shocked that I've never seen anyone commenting on it before. Though, admittedly, after I was finished, I'd had enough and haven't gone looking for reviews.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking bout here?

Rikilamaro

Inkling
I do know what you mean. I loved the first half, but the second left me bitter. I stopped reading, so you're one up on me in that respect. It went to my shelf of books to read for before a lobotomy.