• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

An extraterrestrial race saving the Humans of Earth?

I've rarely found stories that try to merge fantasy and scifi into one work well. It could just be me, but the two systems work against each other. If you have magic, it will normally take the place of technology, and if you don't have much magic, then technology will take hold. Only when you are taking one element and pushing it into another (I think the dresden files would be one example, or harry potter) you have one world hidden within the other. So they don't merge, they exist in semi isolation.

I have seen some anime that warp the two together, but most of the time the magic comes in strange powers that seem to have no real system, just things that happen.

Not saying it can't be done, it's just that when you include extra terrestrials and other planets, it takes on a scifi model with the magic being things not actually explained, but possibly some form of natural ability beyond the normal concepts we think as real.

Of course, if you write the story then you can let someone else figure out what category it fits in.