• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

An uncrossable ocean

Scribe Lord

Minstrel
While I'm not entirely sure to what extent, but I assume that if you had enough moons orbiting your world it would mess with the oceans enough to prevent traversing them. Then again that would mess with all of your large bodies of water.

Braveface

Scribe
While I'm not entirely sure to what extent, but I assume that if you had enough moons orbiting your world it would mess with the oceans enough to prevent traversing them. Then again that would mess with all of your large bodies of water.

This was my original idea, though I didn't want to have to full-on explain the science. Mostly because I don't really understand it.

I have got closer to what I want though, perhaps I could get some feedback?

qlin.png
So the dotted lines horizontal are where the north and south arctic circles begin and the diagonal lines are ley lines of sorts that contain the energy. Where they cross over with the equator and the lines of longitude. The prime meridian is actually not arbitrary but determined by this energy pattern...but that's a BIG secret. Where they cross is powerful juju and the conditions get more intense toward the centre. I plan on having land encircling these two centres but all the action takes place on a small area of land near one of them.

So, with the land being centred around these on opposite sides of the globe, that leaves one big ocean and the arctic circles are impossible to cross. I think the moons could work this way? Then whatever is in the middle could be causing storms and whatnot as well.

KC Herbel

Dreamer
I think what Scribe Lord was referring to was tidal forces. Multiple moons can create much larger extremes than what we see on earth, especially during times that they all align with each other, the planet and the sun. Not to mention the hell they would play with tectonic forces - especially the close moons - and that could lead to some crazy tsunami action too.

As for the above:
Not 100% sure I get your drawing and your description seems to be missing some information, but I'll give it a go and see if anything sticks: What if the energy in your "ley" lines had different polarity (think electrical current or magnetism)? That brings up another idea: What if these lines played havoc with the magnetosphere of your planet - so that enormous amounts of solar energy not only came down at your poles, but in your oceans.
Well, anyway, if you can think of a way to clarify your drawing and your description maybe we could help you more!

Braveface

Scribe
Oh yeah. Would they have to orbit in opposite directions?

Still, I don't feel like that kind of exposition is something I'd really like to get into. It would detract from the story or I am sure researching that to make it right would take away from something more critical to plot that I should have been studying.

Hmm...it is a little unclear but it makes sense to me...ish.

Basically, you can develop a tolerance to this 'energy' that would kill the average person should they stray too far near to the centre. The most intense points, that would vapourise an average person, are in the middle...where the diagonal lines cross over. The equator is also 'energetic', as are the two lines of longitude. So these points in the middle create a kind of 'fallout zone', represented by the circles.

Ohh...DUH! Well, if the equator is permanently choppy, and the arctic circles too difficult to cross, then it is the point where you meet the diagonal that is very difficult to cross. The rest of the ocean can be plain sailing but when you get to that point you had better be ready. There is no way to circumnavigate the globe without crossing those diagonals or the arctic. One is energetic and so requires that tolerance I mentioned. The other would require such physical effort and ability that you really would be better off trying to develop the tolerance. But both present horribly difficult hurdles.

I am not concerned about this energy being scientifically accurate asuch.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice once again! :)

Bruce McKnight

Troubadour
Possibilities:

A giant volcano or chain of volcanoes in constant eruption that blast any ship that gets near
A perpetual whirlpool, possibly the source of all the waves in the world
A giant sea monster
A race of sea creatures that could be friendly (and convince all the sailors to stay) or hostile (and always attacks everyone)
A coral reef (maybe it's blue and hard to see) that grounds all passing ships, starving the sailors
A mystical "wood magnet" at the bottom of the ocean that pulls ships under
A wind god that lives in the middle of the ocean and sets the four winds across the world, but if you get to close to him/her/it, ships are torn apart
The edge of the world where ships just fall off
Time slows down as you reach the center of the ocean, making it only seem like no one ever returns
Old myths and legends (possibly true a long time ago, but not any more) stop people from even trying - everyone just assumes its uncrossable even though it would be really easy if they tried

...or the old Xena Simpsons standby: "a wizard did it."