• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

aquila description

damn it i can;t describe an aquila eagle for the life of me want to use it as template for creature but need to describe it without naming it any ideas ?

cariadhe

Dreamer
There's a such thing as an aquila eagle? I thought aquila just described an eagle. I.e. aquiline...

Weeell, depends on the world you're setting it in. Do other creatures exist there with feathers? Talons? Beaks? That sort of thing. If they do, awesome. Those terms aren't taboo. If not, you're screwed. Just kidding. Seriously, though. Also, POV. Does the person describing the eagle know what feathers and talons are?

Here's where you get creative :) I'll just shout out some thoughts, regardless of POV or setting.

The beak is easy. Railroad spikes, triangular, sharp, pointed, pencil's edge.
Wings... ooh. How do you describe wings if you've never seen them before?
The chest. Proud, lean, looks strong, feathered.
Talons are pretty easy too. Thorns, little daggers, sharp, small, arrow tips.
Feathers are harder. Made of little silken fibers, extremely oblique, very lightweight.

Some eagle/bird-of-prey-based mythological creatures:
rocs
thunderbirds
phoenixes
griffins
halcyons

true but using ancient Rome empire as template and having this bird as a pet for the protagonist . i realize it is general description as an eagle but the bird going to have slightly different features but need a template of basic eagle physiology

Last edited:

ascanius

Inkling
How much detail? check out Eagle Photos

Eagles tend to have long broad round wings, with the primary flight feathers fanning out as they fly. They are much larger than falcons and other birds of prey. Depending on the type of eagle the coloring is different, also the juveniles are colored different than the adults, coloration depends on species. Diurnal raptors are also sexually dimorphic meaning the female is larger than the male. All raptors have a hooked beak. With eagles it is yellowish in color with a darker tip, though I'm not certain if this is true for all. A good thing to know is the difference between the primaries and secondary flight feathers. Unlike chickens and prey birds raptors do not regrow their flight and tail feathers if they are damaged or missing, they must wait for the next molt before they will be regrown. I have a lot of information on raptors, depending on what you want to know, message me if you want a very comprehensive overview of raptor anatomy, morphology and behavior. It's going to be scientific though but it should give you a general idea of what they are like.