• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Atlantis and Avalon

Queshire

Istar
continent destroyed in a single day and magical island where King Arthur sleeps until England's most dire time?

Shreddies

Troubadour
They both start with 'A'!

Aside from that, I just know Atlantis was a creation of Plato, and Avalon had something to do with Arthur's story.

Philster401

Maester
Is any one on this forum knowledgeable on these subjects I've read books and stories on both but I was wondering if anyone else knew anything about them?

Butterfly

Auror
Glastonbury in Somerset is believed to be the site of what was Avalon. Britannia Articles: Was Glastonbury the Isle of Avalon? There is the Abbey, which has seen a few archeological digs over the years, and is the place where they reportedly discovered the tomb of Arthur. Monks (I think) discovered this cross buried in a grave of two people. The inscription claimed the remains were that of Arthur and Guinevere. The cross later disappeared.

There is also Glastonbury Tor to look at.

Both sites have a long history, and a lot of Legends and Myths associated with them.

A few images for you... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=g...niv&sa=X&ei=QHuNVLS_MMLxUPC_g-AF&ved=0CCAQsAQ

There are a few other sites around South England and Cornwall associated with the Arthurian legends if you are interested in looking at them. Off the top of my head...

Cadbury Castle (aka Camelot)

Tintagel Castle Arthur's birthplace

Mythopoet

Auror
Well, I've read the accounts of Atlantis in Plato's dialogues. Very interesting stuff, totally different than most pop culture visions of it.

According to the dialogue Timaeus, the famous philosopher and politician of Athens Solon was told the story of Atlantis by an Egyptian priest. The priest told him how during a previous cycle of civilization (forgotten by everyone except the Egyptians) Atlantis rose up against the world and was beaten by the Athenians before sinking into the sea.

The dialogue Critias goes into much more detail about Atlantis, basically telling the story of a divinely founded land that became corrupt and ultimately Zeus determined to punish them. However, we do not have a complete version of Critias and we'll never know precisely how it ended.

Interestingly, Tolkien's history of Numenor told in The Silmarillion, is inspired by Atlantis and is probably the version of the story closest to what Plato wrote.

Last edited:

Philster401

Maester
Well I was thinking thaT someone might know something I don't do any of know of any books or websites about either of them?