• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Begone Than and Then, I proclaim Thaen!

The English language is a mongrel. Like I was saying about my Celtic novel, the old language of the Britons was derived from old Germanic, then we threw some Latin in there and a few a French words anlong with anloas of convoluted rules and voila! (There you see) we have British English.

Wasn't it George Washington who wanted an English language that would be uniquely American?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I don't know on George Washington--Maybe. It was Roosevelt who did it officially. I am not sure any of them could have caused or prevented it. It would have happened anyway.

Let me know when the Americanized version of the book comes out ;)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I think we should re-spell 'who' as 'how', cause for some reason my brain cant seem to type it right.

I have no problem with American English, when it is in America…

How Americanisation has happened is astounding really, quite the achievement.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Did you mean Americanization? I almost did not understand that word?

(Okay, Im'ma stop making fun.)

We have a lot of funny spelled words. Sometimes, it's like we have no rules at all. Yet, we get by. Plenty of struggles to I could do without.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
If I see one more comment on the wish to Americanise all of English, I am going to Dutchify it.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Joe understimeejt duh pauwer of duh Dutsj lengwitsj. Wie ar eejbel toe doe es wie plies, for es wie seej in duh Nedderlunds, if it is nut Dutsj it is nut mutsj. Nou det joe hef bin etjukeejded joe better spiek Dunglisj (Dutsj Inglisj) es eej propper pursun.

I don’t see ‘Dunglish’ catching on 🙊

I’m always impressed at bilingual people though, I’m just not a natural linguist. And to write an entire novel in a different language is impressive to say the least.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Joe understimeejt duh pauwer of die Dutsj lengwitsj. Wie ar eejbel toe doe es wie plies, for es wie seej in duh Nedderlunds, if it is nut Dutsj it is nut mutsj. Nou det joe hef bin etjukeejded joe better spiek Dunglisj (Dutsj Inglisj) es eej propper pursun.

Joe...whatever... Then and Than prevail. <--There, Americanized for you ;)

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I can literally hear you talking Ban 😆
The Channel is smaller thaen I thought :p As for writing a novel in a different language, we learn English fairly early on here so while it's not my native tongue, it's close enough to being so. Far more difficult to learn a language when you're a teen or an adult. I never got the hang of French.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
If it reminds you of a noble title, thaen that would be the title of a thane.

Oh I was alright at French at school, comes in useful when I go to Paris, I like to pretend I’m French when I’m ordering my pan au chocolat…