• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Best areas for "surviving fossils"

Aldarion

Archmage
An impact crater, no matter how small or big is still essentially a hole in the ground that says ‘look at me’! They are not exactly inconspicuous, if that is what you’d be going for.

Although I’m curious now as to why you ask the question. What would be the goal? It makes me think of a zoo setup where you have an enclosure that keeps endangered species inside, with breeding programmes and studies into the animals, or botanical gardens that do much the same thing. Is there an illegal trade in these living fossils that is fuelling the need to protect them?

Otherwise if you’re looking for an environment where they can thrive and survive, that is more along the lines of rewilding. You’d need to consider that there would need to be suitable entry and exit points to the main site to provide a natural corridor that sustains the habitat.
The goal would be basically an area where ancient animals and beings (be it Nenaderthals, dragons or whatever) were able to survive simply because humans weren't able to reach there.

I mean, you probably know what happened to all extremely dangerous animals that lived in areas humans did manage to occupy.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
The goal would be basically an area where ancient animals and beings (be it Nenaderthals, dragons or whatever) were able to survive simply because humans weren't able to reach there.

I mean, you probably know what happened to all extremely dangerous animals that lived in areas humans did manage to occupy.
Any form of microclimate should be able to provide a sanctuary for species. It just needs to be large enough to sustain a healthy population, but a sizable vale could even work for Neanderthals I reckon. Just close up the mountain passes and you've got an excuse for their seclusion.

If this is a medieval setup you could also consider utilising good-hearted landowners to use their acreage for the keeping of persecuted species. Maybe a ye olde philanthropist.