• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

blackflash with a backlash?

i am currently writing 3rd scene of chapter 1st draft(will need to be edited 10 times at least). the first ch1 so far is a backlash and third scene is another backlash wandering if this ok it reveals some hint protagonist past plus an important scene where she first gets dog (now the spirit possessing her car ) it is my first try on the ban fantasy formula i have so much urban fantasy that i believe can pull this off so wandering if a backlash within a backlash ok or not

Do you mean flashback? Sorry I've never heard either of those terms (well, backlash is a word but I've not heard it used in that way) and I think there is a language barrier so I'm unsure.

If you're referring to a flashback, then no, I wouldn't put a flashback in a flashback. It makes the story feel lost and isn't the most efficient way of giving backstory. If you want more than one flashback, just find room in a different part of the story to insert it there. Or start the flashback at the earliest point chronologically, and then merge both flashbacks into one.

Hi,

I'd agree with Evo, a flashback withina flashback would be too much in most cases. Even if you didn't confuse your reader, it would seem highly unreal and many readers would stop reading at that point.

Cheers, Greg.