• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Bravely Default

Ophiucha

Auror
You know it's by Square-Enix because of how dumb the name is.

Bravely Default is the spiritual successor to Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light. It's a classic JRPG, featuring turn-based combat, a job system, and a few battle elements reminiscent of Dragon Quest. It's basically a Final Fantasy game, right down to the story involving a bunch of crystals, but it's very much in the style of the III - V era of the games. And it's pretty dang good. It was actually sold out at two different stores around here, I ended up having to go to Toys R' Us to find a copy.

Also, the soundtrack was done by the guys who did the OP themes for Attack on Titan.

Last edited by a moderator:

teacup

Auror
Are you trying to tell me that this is a new final fantasy game...like the old ones..?
I MUST HAVE IT. I NEED A 3DS D:

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, I saw this a while back and thought: "Is this a Final Fantasy game?" Then I realized it was sort of a spiritual successor to The Four Warriors of Light (which I couldn't get into for some reason). This, however, looks pretty awesome. It's the kind of FF game I think fans have been clamoring for. Even though it's not actually a fantasy game.

And believe me, living in Japan, I see all sorts of awesomely bizarre names for things. (Bikkuri Donkey, for instance. Which roughly means "Surprise Donkey." This is a hamburg restaurant...)

My thoughts so far:

Since when is guarding in combat useful? (Since Runic in FFVI, I suppose.)

This is the first game where I've really liked the Everyman character. Tiz is just so straightforward, and really brave when he has to be.

A party of four black mages can kill ANYTHING. It's kind of ludicrous.

Job points take way too long to earn.

Why are MP-restoring items so freaking expensive? Enough MP to cast ten more healing spells without going back to the inn will run you as much as a mithril sword.

Did I really just spend six hours playing this game? Ack; I've got homework! Just another half hour . . .

Ophiucha

Auror
I think that's part of that 'old school revival' trend in gaming where you say ''hey, remember how old games are really hard and mostly artificially due to a lack of experience on the dev's part with regards to balancing? Let's do that again it's nostalgic~''. I saw a game recently, a point-and-click adventure game riding the coattails of Broken Age, that purposely left in game-breaking problems if you did things in the wrong order. Because it was nostalgic. Mmm...

I like that some of the classes can really utilize guard - way too many games are beatable with nothing but a spam of the default attack and a few well-placed special moves. Nice change of pace, although some classes can easily never use it.

Best feature: being able to adjust the spawn rate. Great if you're in the middle of a dungeon when something in real life calls you away, you can just turn off monsters and run to the save point.

Finally reached chapter 5, and I've got just one thing to say:

why-god.jpg

My characters are around level 50. The remaining content seems to be intended for level 99. Why would anyone do this?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I found the same issue with FF3 on the DS. It was mind-numblingly hard at the end out of nowhere it felt. And my guys were pretty good levels. I guess it's the whole "grindy grindy" way of JRPGs.

Ophiucha

Auror
Gotta love that grind.

I feel like this game kind of demands you always have the best armour possible at all times. The second you fall behind a tier, suddenly every enemy can 2HKO everyone in the party.

teacup

Auror
I like when the games are hard, but I'm not a big fan of having to grind loads to stand a chance :/